PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:06 am 
Forum Commoner

Q.
On this page:
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/php/php_ ... _types.htm

On section "Interpreting other types as Booleans", it says:

"Don't use double as Booleans".

I do not understand this. Why can't you use a double as a boolean ?
Why can't we use the following example ?

EXAMPLE 1:

$int_var = 100.10;

If($int_var != 100.10);
echo "FALSE";
else echo "TRUE";

EXAMPLE 2:

$int_var = 16.5;

If($int_var < 16.5);
echo "You're under age!";
else echo "You're old enough!";

Q2.
On the same page under the same section as above, it says:

"Each of the following variables has the truth value embedded in its name when it is used in a Boolean context.

$true_num = 3 + 0.14159;
$true_str = "Tried and true"
$true_array[49] = "An array element";
$false_array = array();
$false_null = NULL;
$false_num = 999 - 999;
$false_str = ""; "

Now my question ....

I can understand the following is considered TRUE because the value of the number is not zero.
$true_num = 3 + 0.14159;

I can understand the following is considered TRUE because the value of the string is not blank or empty and holds a value.
$true_str = "Tried and true"
Saying all this, I guess white space or the TAB/INDENT is considered as FALSE if some-how there can be "values" set to them one way or the other. But, I guess not.

I can understand the following is considered TRUE because the value of the ARRAY is not zero or blank/empty. Correct ? (I have a little doubt about this one).

I can understand the following is considered FALSE because the value of the ARRAY is blank/empty. I guess if the value held "0" then it would be FALSE too. Correct ? Correct me if I'm wrong.
$false_array = array();

My REAL question is this following one. How can that variable be considered FALSE since the NULL holds a NULL ? A negative "-" holds a negative "-". Or a "zero" holding a "zero" is TRUE. Right ? Don't understand this logic.
$false_null = NULL;
Let's face it. Imagine you're a robot who accepts donations. Now, I come along and program you to not accept any donations anymore. No holding money in your pockets anymore. Some guy comes and tries giving you money but you refuse. When I get back, I try seeing if your pockets are empty (NULL) and find it is. Did you live-up to the NULL ? Yes, you did. And so, it is a TRUE NULL. Not FALSE. Right ?
Unless, I'm understanding NULL wrong some-how. I see when we create tables in mysql, we assign whether a column should be NULL or not. I'm guessing, if we assign it not to be NULL then on every input to the table that column must get inputted a value. Else, mysql will spit an error. If it's set to NULL then that means the column can be not filled even though other columns are getting filled in a go. Correct, or have I got my wires crossed some-how ?

I can understand the following is false because the value of the variable would be zero. Right ?
$false_num = 999 - 999;

That page further says on the NULL section:
"A variable that has been assigned NULL has the following properties −

It evaluates to FALSE in a Boolean context.
It returns FALSE when tested with IsSet() function".

I'm having trouble understand "It evaluates to FALSE in a Boolean context" for reasons mentioned just above.
:confused:
Maybe, some examples from you guys can clear this misconception on my part (if any). :D

Anyone kind enough to show 2 examples of the IsSet() function here where the variable with a NULL value would be considered FALSE ?
:confused:

Thank you for your time and help. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:04 am 
Spammer :|

1. https://3v4l.org/7FOcP

http://floating-point-gui.de/
Read everything that site has and come back if you still have questions.

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
I can understand the following is considered TRUE because the value of the string is not blank or empty and holds a value.

Forget "blank". Every string is true except for "" and "0".

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
I can understand the following is considered TRUE because the value of the ARRAY is not zero or blank/empty. Correct ? (I have a little doubt about this one).

Forget "blank". If the array has anything in it at all then it is true. Only empty arrays are false.

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
I guess if the value held "0" then it would be FALSE too. Correct ? Correct me if I'm wrong.

No.

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
My REAL question is this following one. How can that variable be considered FALSE since the NULL holds a NULL ?

Null is not a value. Null is the absence of a value. This is more prominent in SQL but the same principle holds in virtually every programming language out there.
Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
$false_null = NULL;

This creates a variable. It looks like null is the value, but stop thinking about it as a value. The variable has no value.

Because PHP is so loosely typed, null will act like the default value for every type when treated as such. Null as a string is an empty string, null as a number is 0, and null as a boolean is false.

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
A negative "-" holds a negative "-". Or a "zero" holding a "zero" is TRUE.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
Right ?

Doubtful.

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
$false_null = NULL;
Let's face it. Imagine you're a robot who accepts donations. Now, I come along and program you to not accept any donations anymore. No holding money in your pockets anymore. Some guy comes and tries giving you money but you refuse. When I get back, I try seeing if your pockets are empty (NULL) and find it is. Did you live-up to the NULL ? Yes, you did. And so, it is a TRUE NULL. Not FALSE. Right ?

No. Don't make this more complicated than it has to be: null == false.

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
Unless, I'm understanding NULL wrong some-how.

Completely.

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
I see when we create tables in mysql, we assign whether a column should be NULL or not.

No. What you are doing is saying whether a column is able to not have a value. Again, because null is the absence of a value.

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
I'm guessing, if we assign it not to be NULL then on every input to the table that column must get inputted a value. Else, mysql will spit an error.

"assign it not to be NULLable", correct.

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
If it's set to NULL then that means the column can be not filled even though other columns are getting filled in a go.

"If it's set to NULLable", correct.

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
I can understand the following is false because the value of the variable would be zero. Right ?
$false_num = 999 - 999;

With integers, yes. Unlike floating-point numbers, integers are exact.

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
I'm having trouble understand "It evaluates to FALSE in a Boolean context" for reasons mentioned just above.

if ($variable) {

That is a boolean context: PHP needs to decide whether it should do the if code or not, and so must come to a true or false conclusion. Whatever you do in that condition will eventually be turned into a boolean value, even if PHP has to do it automatically for you.

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
Anyone kind enough to show 2 examples of the IsSet() function here where the variable with a NULL value would be considered FALSE ?

I don't know how you aren't understanding that. Surely a single, trivial example is sufficient:
$variable = null;
if (isset($variable)) {
        echo "true";
} else {
        echo "false"; // <--
}

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:37 pm 
Forum Commoner

Thanks Requinix.
Shame we can't give REPUTATIONS or THANK YOUs in this forum, like some others.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:45 pm 
Forum Commoner

One question. Would this be valid variable:

$float_var = 100.10;

If so, then would this be a valid boolean:

If($float_var = 100.10);
echo "TRUE";
else echo "FALSE";

Here, I used a double/float as boolean and if it works then the following is bad advice, is it not ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:51 am 

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
Would this be valid variable:

$float_var = 100.10;

I don't see anything invalid in that code.

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
If so, then would this be a valid boolean:

If($float_var = 100.10);
echo "TRUE";
else echo "FALSE";

Ignoring the misplaced semicolon,

That code says "perform the assignment of 100.1 to the variable $float_var, have the expression evaluate to the value 100.1, and convert that value to a boolean".
Code:
if ((bool)100.1)

If you did == then it would be "perform a loose comparison between the variable $float_var and the value 100.1, and have the expression evaluate to whether the two are equal". === would be the same but with a strict comparison.

UniqueIdeaMan wrote:
Here, I used a double/float as boolean and if it works then the following is bad advice, is it not ?

No, the advice is still correct. Did you check that 3v4l link I posted earlier?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:19 pm 
Forum Commoner

Requinix,

I actually missed your first lin and noticed the 2nd and checked that one out.
Now, I noticed your first link:
https://3v4l.org/7FOcP

What is it ? An experiment page where we play with php codes to see how they output ?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:13 am 

I wouldn't say you use it to "play with" PHP, but it is a nice place to demonstrate how code works in multiple versions of PHP.

The point I was demonstrating was that $value should be 0.0 but it evaluates to true.