PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:34 am 
Forum Newbie

Hello Guys

I want to know that while recurring payment does control comes to our
any specified backend file so that we can enter corresponding data
into database.If yes then how to specify that.Plz solve my query

Thanx
Renu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:41 am 
PHP Evangelist

Can you rephrase your query? I'm not sure I'm totally following what you need.

Also, I recommend you check out the PDN pages from your paypal account. At the bottom, you should see a 'Developers' link. From that page, go to the 'How To Articles' page from the menu and you'll see a lot of good tutorials for working with paypal. Many of them even are done using PHP as the programming language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:14 am 
Forum Newbie

I've gone thru these tutorials but no benefit.

I'm using paypal IPN.

I'm working on a site on which user will buy some subscription plan(1month,2month,6month etc..).On completion of their subscription period (let say 1 month) their plan will be renewd (after 1 month).We r using paypal for payment.I want to autorecurr the amount on completion of their subscription plan.I know there is some option in paypal which will automatically deduct amount from user's account after specified time period.But i want to update my database when recurring occurs.So i want to know when paypal will automatically recurr amount then does control will come to my php file which will update the database if successfull payment has been made.Plz reply as soon as possible.i need it urgently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:18 am 
Forum Contributor

you're prolly better off buying a program like ModernBill then to attempt to write it yourself (if that's what you are after).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:18 am 
PHP Evangelist

renugunpal wrote:
I've gone thru these tutorials but no benefit.

I'm using paypal IPN.

I'm working on a site on which user will buy some subscription plan(1month,2month,6month etc..).On completion of their subscription period (let say 1 month) their plan will be renewd (after 1 month).We r using paypal for payment.I want to autorecurr the amount on completion of their subscription plan.I know there is some option in paypal which will automatically deduct amount from user's account after specified time period.But i want to update my database when recurring occurs.So i want to know when paypal will automatically recurr amount then does control will come to my php file which will update the database if successfull payment has been made.Plz reply as soon as possible.i need it urgently.

Oh, okay.

Well this is from the PayPal help section:

Quote:
What types of payments trigger Instant Payment Notifications?

If your Notification URL is set in your PayPal account Profile, all payments, transaction reversals (such as chargebacks), refunds, subscription events, and buyer disputes will trigger an Instant Payment Notification.

If you did not set a Notification URL in your account Profile, then an Instant Payment Notification will occur only if the variable "notify_url" is included in your PayPal button code. When you set the "notify_url" variable in your button code, it overrides the Notification URL set in your Profile.

All payments that begin as Pending send two Instant Payment Notifications; one when the payment is initiated in the pending state, and another when the payment has been completed. In this case, both Instant Payment Notifications will have the same "txn_id".

Basically, the "subscription event" they are talking about I believe is whenever a payment is made on a subscription. So if you setup the IPN and your script right, you'll know when that specific user has completed their subscription payment for the month. And you could run a script that checks who has not, and then sends them a notice (sort of like a grace period).

I recommend looking through other IPN help pages because it has a lot of info about this sort of topic.