[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/geshi.php on line 3355: preg_replace(): Unknown modifier '.'
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/geshi.php on line 3355: preg_replace(): Unknown modifier '.'
Internet Explorer, <pre> tags and setting innerHTML • PHP Developers Network

PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:35 pm 
Breakbeat Nuttzer

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
<html>
<head>
  <title>IE preformatted text sucks</title>
</head>
<body>
  <pre id="test">
a b c
d e f
  </pre>
  <script type="text/javascript"><!--
  var textContent = document.getElementById("test").innerText;
  textContent = textContent.replace("a", "<span style=\"color:red;\">a</span>");
  document.getElementById("test").style.whiteSpace = "pre";
  document.getElementById("test").innerHTML = textContent;
  --></script>
</body>
</html>

Notice if you run that code that although it correctly highlights the "a" character, the <pre> tag loses all formatting in IE. This works as expected in FF, Safari, iPhone and Opera. But in IE6 (the only IE I could test in) it ends up on one line.

Anyone know that solution that DOESN'T involve replacing the whitespace with HTML <br> &nbsp; etc? I don't want to have to encode all spaces, tabs and newlines into HTML since that defies the point of the <pre> tag ;) It would also be way too slow for what I'm doing.

I really hate IE :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:45 am 
Breakbeat Nuttzer

I'm pretty sure this can't be solved so I had to tackle my problem differently... by using:

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
"js""{CB}""font-family: monospace;""""li1""color: #006600;""color: #3366CC;"''"""li2""color: #006600;""color: #66cc66;""color: #66cc66;"

I'll be posting another thread shortly with what I've been working on. It's fun :)