PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:44 am 
The Ninja Space Mod

Hey y'all! Long time no post! I've decided to venture into the wonderful world of C and eventually Objective C. I bought a book on Objective C which gives kind of a crash course in C, but I would actually much prefer to build my objective c knowledge on a solid foundation of C. So, can anybody suggest some good ways to learn C properly? The first language I ever learned was PHP (unless you count my rudimentary knowledge of javascript in the late 90s, which I don't) and I feel like coming from a PHP background has spoiled me as a programmer in a lot of ways. I know much less about how things work under the hood than I really should and that is one of the major reasons I want to learn C. So... can anybody point me in the right direction? This forum basically taught me how to program properly so I trust you guys to steer me right!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:14 pm 

Kernighan & Ritchie is a never fading classic.

Dabbling into microcontroller programming might have some benefits as well: you'd be exposed to a lower level of a simpler architecture, learn some C (and soldering :) ) and could create something useful, all at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:40 pm 
The Ninja Space Mod

Weirdan, I spent probably 3 or 4 hours last night reading about assembly programming concepts. I had downloaded this book on programming C and it mentioned assembly a few times, which got me curious. So I started reading about assembly and before I knew it, hours had passed. But it was interesting stuff. I certainly am learning how much I don't know :-D

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:16 pm 

Life is too short to code in assembly, but knowing basics never hurts.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:25 pm 
Forum Contributor

Because C itself is fairly minimal, you should be able to pick up the basics very quickly - having just started programming in C myself, I've found that many of the design decisions in PHP have been directly influenced by it. That said, I have two C books to hand and neither of them gets beyond basic command line operations (even after several hundred pages). To really understand C in modern usage, I think you need to find yourself an open source/free project and start learning how to use libraries - maybe start with an audio player project, something that will make extensive use of libraries, file i/o operations, etc. Just make sure that the project is about something you're interested - music, graphics, emulation, whatever - so that you have some incentive to really spend time learning about it. I submitted my first patch for a free software project after I found that the audio export function worked in earlier versions of the software but not later ones, and wanted to fix that issue.

At around the same time I started learning Objective C as well, but it made *no* sense to me at all given what I knew about C by that point - and prior to that I had a reasonably good understanding of assembler from some Z80 development and PIC microcontroller projects.

Mecha Godzilla

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:15 pm 
DevNet Resident

If you have hours to spend watching lectures, Richard Buckland's computer science courses on YouTube are an excellent starting point for learning C. Watching those videos and carefully reading "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie (ISBN 0-13-110362-8) should give you a solid understanding of the language.