PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ruby on shared hosting
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:49 pm 
Forum Newbie

Folks,

I am trying to run a Ruby file through PHP on a shared hosting site. Basically, I created the .rb file, then used PHP chmod to change the permissions to 755; however, I am not getting anything out of it. The reason for wanting to run Ruby code is so I can use the language capabilities, such as: threads, XML and PDF creating/manipulating gems. I am writing a site for a friend's business and I want to create an administrative section that will generate periodic reports of estimates, contacts, etc. Thanks in advance for your help and understanding.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:58 pm 

Have you checked that Ruby is installed on the shared host? There's also a good chance that shell_exec is disabled. Shared hosting might not be a great fit here, or you'd need alternatives to what you're currently trying to accomplish with Ruby.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:25 pm 
Forum Newbie

Well, according to the ISP their shared hosting provides Ruby support. In fact, they advertise it as part of their shared business hosting packages. The problem I am having is that their help options and/or forums do not provide much info other than the basic instructions on how to login and install gems via SSH and even that is a little buggy. I tried installing a gem a few days ago and got a message letting me know that I did not have permissions to write to a certain folder--do not remember which right now, which I am assuming is the folder where the gems are stored at. I even tried creating an .rb and .cgi file in both the root directory and the cgi-bin and tried to run those and nothing. What do you suggest?