PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ADVANCED DISCUSSION ONLY
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:13 pm 
DevNet Master

This forum is increasingly filling up with basic queries and that creates a lot of "noise" which obscures the genuinely advanced topics for which it was intended.

I'm sure I've posted in the wrong forum myself once or twice, and exactly what is advanced or not can be a matter of opinion.

This is maybe an example of a good advanced topic where the use of template engines is dicussed: http://forums.devnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?t=10077

Questions on register globals, however are definitely not. Problems with your code are not - unless that maybe leads into some kind of advanced, theoretical issue.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:40 am 
Her Royal Site Adminness

That's so true - I have moved tons of messages from here. It would be nice if people bothered reading the forum description before posting.

Having been away from the forums due to work commitments and being ill I have now gone through the Advanced forum and trimmed as much as possible from it into other forums. So it should be better in here now.

Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:16 pm 
DevNet Resident

There is one here that I think is advanced. The one about forking processes. The vast majority of PHP developers don't use this kind of thing and the thinking is a bit different than just yanking data from a db.

Cheers,
BDKR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:17 am 
DevNet Master

This looked to me like a "script problem" (actually I'm not sure it's php related at all) rather than a discussion about programming theory and design - hence I moved the original post. Also, a second posting of the original message was deleted.

Did someone restore it? I'll leave it be if you think it's an advanaced topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:01 am 
Her Royal Site Adminness

Aargh, just finished typing a reply and then Firebird crashed :(. I moved the topic back, I'm still not sure whether it should be here or in Miscellaneous but it was quickly getting lost in Normal so I thought I'd see how it progressed here...

Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:37 am 
DevNet Resident

McGruff wrote:
This looked to me like a "script problem" (actually I'm not sure it's php related at all) rather than a discussion about programming theory and design - hence I moved the original post. Also, a second posting of the original message was deleted.

Did someone restore it? I'll leave it be if you think it's an advanaced topic.

I hear what you're saying. If it was anything else I admit I'd have to consider it as just normal. The only reason I think it's advanced is becuase it's a use of PHP that isn't common. Afterall, if Perl and Python could go in these kinds of directions, why not PHP?

Cheers,
BDKR

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:11 pm 
Forum Contributor

Maybe SNIPPETS section should be stronger, or mayor contents page - with refference to php.net and users contributed links ?!?!?!

And pointing to it form the home page.

Also this link - as a community creator:
http://forums.devnetwork.net/viewtopic. ... highlight=