PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:26 am 
Site Administrator

Using the PEAR/Zend convention for class naming an abstract class might be called Foo_Bar_Abstract. The problem is that if you change to namespaces then you end up with this naming problem:
Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
namespace Foo\Bar;

abstract class Abstract {
Obviously "abstract" is a keyword. I noticed that ZF2 has come up with the clunky convention of naming the class \Foo\Bar\BarAbstract. I assume the same problem applies with interfaces.

I was discussing this with Jonah Bron and wondered what people thought the best naming scheme might be? I think part of my uneasiness at using "Abstract" in class names is that is is similar to adding the type to variable names. Maybe not exactly the same, but similar. I'd prefer the name to be expressive of what it does and not all parent classes have exactly same intent or usage. Some may be a true abstract class that mix unimplemented, required methods with implemented methods. Other parent classes are more a library of methods that the child may use, but maybe you don't consider those truly abstract. It can be a fine line between a class used as a parent and a class declared as abstract. So does naming these classes using terms like Base or Common make more sense?

(#10850)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:35 am 
DevNet Master

'Abstract' is already redundant because you typed it before the class name, in this case I'd go with 'Foo_Bar' as the abstract class itself, if that's already taken re-name it. (Foo_Bar_Implementation ?? Think of something more descriptive is better).

I think this mirrors real world objects. In real life you don't just instantiate a House, you can't even look at the whole house at once, its sort of abstract in a sense. So I would just have /House be your abstract class. /House/Wall, and House/Door, and /House/Nails and such would be your 'concrete' objects. Or perhaps /House is your container, which contains a couple /House/Room objects, and /House extends /House/Foundation?

Either that or use a domain specific term, like the /House/Foundation is your abstract class, or the /House/Blueprint. Some will say this is an oversight of PHP others will argue its going to promote better naming. I'd rather be in the code that calls it a house/blueprint than a house/abstract. To most people the word 'abstract' is very abstract. Confusing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:16 am 
DevNet Master

Although I use namespaces, I haven't faced such problem yet. I always use Abstract for the abstract classes. Usually, I use single word namespaces - i.e.
namespace Foo;

and almost never
namespace Foo\Bar;

IMHO, namespaces should not be used as part of the class naming - its purpose is to solve naming conflicts.

Also, I don't think having an abstract class in the root of the object hierarchy makes sense - it is an abstraction of what? Sounds like it's an abstraction of the namespace itself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:18 am 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:20 am 
DevNet Master

Or get rid of the "abstract" bit of it, and use it as a composite in all "child" classes :mrgreen:

I am seriously of the opinion these days that abstract classes are foul, and the only thing that should ever be abstracted is an interface (which is redundant in PHP anyway, as of course it is dynamic - happy days!)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:24 am 
DevNet Master

Even if I call it Abstract, it's not always declared as such. It's the "base" class.

And if its only interface, I use Interface. If one can put some code to reuse, it's a "base" class.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:57 am 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:41 pm 
DevNet Master

To answer without quoting, I've not had that situation occur. Ever. And even struggle to think of an example. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:53 pm 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:57 pm 
DevNet Master

If you're looking for an example, here's one.

https://code.google.com/p/skeleton/sour ... k%2FA%2FDb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:00 pm 
DevNet Master

I'm struggling to see how that can't be a composite.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:04 pm 
DevNet Master

Last edited by VladSun on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:07 pm 
DevNet Master

My opinion on that is because it is more difficult to enforce behaviour through composition than it is through inheritance.

Composition is difficult to do, I am fully aware. However it is very easy to do inheritance badly, but just as difficult to do cleanly.

Note that there isn't a "composition is easy to do badly" in that statement.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:11 pm 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

Composition is when one object directly instantiates a new object for it's own purposes (directly coupled).

I.e.,

class Foo
{
   protected $_bar;

public function __construct()
   {
      $this->_bar = new Bar();
   }

public function doSometing()
   {
      $this->_bar->foobar();
   }
}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next