PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:27 pm 
Forum Newbie

Hi
Can any one explain advantages and disadvantages of factory pattern.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:29 pm 
Site Administrator

I think my problem with a Factory is that it create the false sense of adding flexibility while it only seems to add complexity. Where I have implemented them I have eventually removed them.

(#10850)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:35 am 
Forum Contributor

The main point of the Factory Pattern in PHP application is to centralize the creation logic to one location. If you simply do new ClassName everywhere, then you have hard coded that into your application and you have to locate and change every instance whenever you would need to change it in the future. If instead you encapsulate this somehow (function, class method, factory object) then you have a single location in your code where you can change this creation logic without affecting the other parts of your code.

The decision to use the pattern is similar to any other design pattern: does the problem you are trying to solve, for which the design pattern is a time tested solution, actually exist in your code? If not, you could be adding unnecessary complexity to your code base for flexibility you will never need. See the YAGNI principal :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Factories play an important role in libraries with lots of dependencies. As sweatje put it, by implementing the factory pattern we can centralize the creation of the object, which understands how to build it in a ready to use state with it's dependencies. With that said, we can much more easily manage and mock factories than manually managing them in the underlying code itself several times over.