PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Login Remember Me
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:49 am 
Forum Commoner

Hello, I am creating a 'remember me' feature for my login which allows the user to only have to login once.

At the moment I store the username and password in a cookie, the password is encrypted with MD5 but that's hardly secure. Anyone could view the cookie and obtain their username and password.

How can I make this more secure? I did read somewhere about storing a session ID as a cookie instead?

Post subject: Re: Login Remember Me
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:27 am 
Tranquility In Moderation

I believe some simply extend the login cookie.

In the past I have generated a random string, and hashed the sum of login + password + random string and stored it in a cookie, while storing the random string in their users database row.

Then, upon a page view, if not logged in, i'd check for the cookie hash string, and compare it to a recomputed hash of login, password, + random string from their database row. If it matches I log them in automatically and generate a new random string and re-set the cookie.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:44 am 
Forum Commoner

I don't understand what you're saying, would doing that stop people from using the cookies if they were stolen from a users computer?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:48 am 
DevNet Master

s.dot! Haven't seen you around in a while.

@lenten: nothing, and as far as I know, there's no practical way to prevent that at all (short of requiring the user's credentials every on every page load). That's known as "session hijacking", as you may know. Is this application being designed for a demographic that is at that risk?

(old discussion about this here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127262 )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:37 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm 
DevNet Master

Oh, you mean like adding the IP address to the hash? Yeah, I forgot about that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:42 pm 
Forum Contributor

Hashing the username, password and secure code together and storing in cookie would be fine because if the cookies get stolen from the computer they are on then thats not your security problem. You have secured the details within a hash etc so you have done your bit.

If the computer gets hacked and the cookies are stolen then its the users own risk to there own system and not yours. Its only like getting hacked and someone finds a file with all your username and passwords stored in there. You have to contact all your accounts and tell them etc and change the user/pass etc.

Try not to think about it too deeply as the user has to take responsibility also for their own security.

Best wishes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:24 am 
Forum Commoner

If it bugs you that much, just remember that the whole idea of a 'remember me' function sacrifices security for convenience. There's no real way around that, so don't beat yourself up too much. At the same time, I wouldn't say it's "up to the users", purely because if you give them the functionality, the majority will use it. So you have to decide for yourself whether the risk is worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:54 am 
Forum Contributor

@RCA86 I agree with your notion of deciding whether or not this feature is worth the security risk.

I personally do not and NEVER WILL use this function because if you are going out of your way to make a secure envirnment then why throw all that away by giving this silly if not LAZY option for your customers.

Lets face it, so many people are now using cleaning programs to clear cache, cookies, temp files etc so sooner or later they are going to have to login to create the cookie again.

Best wishes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:49 am 
Forum Commoner

Ok, thanks for all your replies. I have just figured out that other websites can't access cookies that have been made in another domain. Obviously this would be a huge security risk which was why I was so worried.

The remember me feature is a must for me, I hate having to keep logging in all the time.

At the moment the password in the cookie is encrypted with MD5 which isn't that secure. Is there an encryption in PHP that can be encrypted with a password and then decrypted with the same password?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:02 am 
Forum Contributor

Add a salt to the password then encrypt it. Then simply encrypt user input when logging in and compare encryptions.

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
// this is what it normally looks like when hashing a string using md5
$password = md5($password);

// using a salt, you instead concentate a string to the password before hashing it
$password = md5($salt.$password);

and heres a basic example of how to use it:

$password = "shaunellerton";
$salt = "t2H45Dfe12jiR8";

Suppose you use the password “shaunellerton” from the example (my name (shaunellerton) which many people STILL do you know or even worse their date of birth). Then the generated hash would actually become “t2H45Dfe12jiR8shaunellerton” which is a considerably stronger password than “shaunellerton”. This takes care of the user’s bad habit of using easy passwords with only lowercase characters.

Just remember that you don’t have to use the salt in the beginning of the string, the principle is the same if you do this:

md5($password.$salt)

You can do it however you want and really this is the tip of the iceberg hear. You have so many different options open to you here and one common technique is mixing your hash techniques such as:

$password = "shaunellerton"
$salt = sha1(md5($password));

Its your mind thats the limit here. You can also code an auto salt generator which uses special characters and never repeats characters too. There are no limits really and the more you do the more secure but lets face it, if they have access to the cookie then it dont matter what you do.

You can always use salts in your coding and change them every month for users that are using the remember me function. This way when you change the salts the user is forced to log in again because the existing cookie wont be accepted. Wordpress uses this principle as well as other common cms systems.

If you want more advice just PM me about it if need be.

ANOTHER POINT! - Why store your password in the cookie? why not store a unique hash that gets generated when the user logs in and then store that in the cookie instead of the password. Then the password is never stored on the computer of the user. You can then check for the unique hash when a user visits the site and if it exists in a table near the username etc then they are logged in. If not then they have to log in. This would give you easy access to reset all unique hashes on all accounts for security reasons just incase someone has there cookie stolen etc.

Best wishes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:05 pm 

Here's a code snippet from what I used to use on one of my old sites
It doesn't look too bad but I would do it a bit differently now (mostly using more objects).

This code will check if logged in
-> if not logged in, check for autologin cookie being set
-> if cookie is set, check that the cookie hash value matches regenerated hash value from database
-> if it does, log them in
-> generate new hash, and set new cookie

The only thing I don't like about this code is it uses a unique identifier in the cookie (users id). But I was ok with that at the time because I didn't use ids for anything (database had username foreign keys).

//try auto login if not logged in
if (!isLoggedIn())
{
        if (!empty($_COOKIE['autologin']))
        {
                if (strpos($_COOKIE['autologin'], ':'))
                {
                        $pieces = explode(':', $_COOKIE['autologin']);
                        $alid = mysql_real_escape_string($pieces[0]);

$alRes = mysql_query("SELECT `id`, `username`, `auto_login_string`, `dob_month`, `dob_day`, `dob_year` FROM `users` WHERE `id` = '$alid' LIMIT 1")
                                or die(mysql_error());

if ($alArr = mysql_fetch_assoc($alRes))
                        {
                                $hash = $pieces[0] . ':' . hash('sha256', $alArr['id'] . $alArr['auto_login_string'] . $alArr['username']);

if ($hash == $_COOKIE['autologin'])
                                {
                                        //login
                                        session_regenerate_id(true);
                                        $_SESSION['logged_in'] = true;
                                        $_SESSION['username'] = $alArr['username'];
                                        $_SESSION['id'] = $alArr['id'];
                                        $_SESSION['age'] = getAge($arr['dob_year'], $arr['dob_month'], $arr['dob_day']);

mysql_query("UPDATE `users` SET `last_active` = '" . time() . "' WHERE `username` = '" . $alArr['username'] . "' LIMIT 1")
                                                or die(mysql_error());

//generate new key so old one can't be re-used
                                        $key = substr(md5(microtime(true)), 0, 10);

//update key in database
                                        mysql_query("UPDATE `users` SET `auto_login_string` = '$key' WHERE `username` = '" . $alArr['username'] . "' LIMIT 1")
                                                or die(mysql_error());

//hash cookie value
                                        $newHash = $alArr['id'] . ':' . hash('sha256', $alArr['id'] . $key . $alArr['username']);

//set cookie
                                        setcookie('autologin', $newHash, time()+60*60*24*365);
                                }
                        }
                }
        }
} else
{
        mysql_query("UPDATE `users` SET `last_active` = '" . time() . "' WHERE `username` = '" . $_SESSION['username'] . "' LIMIT 1")
                or die(mysql_error());
}

Edit| And for this to work, the autologin cookie has to be set on login, too, so here's that code

//auto login
                        if (isset($_POST['autologin']))
                        {
                                //generate key
                                $key = substr(md5(microtime(true)), 0, 10);

//store key in database
                                mysql_query("UPDATE `users` SET `auto_login_string` = '$key' WHERE `username` = '" . $arr['username'] . "' LIMIT 1")
                                        or die(mysql_error());

//generate hashed cookie value
                                $hash = $arr['id'] . ':' . hash('sha256', $arr['id'] . $key . $arr['username']);

//set cookie
                                setcookie('autologin', $hash, time()+60*60*24*365);
                        } else
                        {
                                //set to blank autologin string
                                mysql_query("UPDATE `users` SET `auto_login_string` = '' WHERE `username` = '" . $arr['username'] . "' LIMIT 1")
                                        or die(mysql_error());

//unset autologin cookie if it is set
                                if (isset($_COOKIE['autologin']))
                                {
                                        setcookie('autologin', '', time()-60*60*24*365);
                                }
                        }

Really hope this helps someone! Even if it just gives ideas.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:44 am 
Forum Newbie

You can otherwise use combination of mcrypt module and the some id or a identifier like a date when user has logged in with the remember me option.