PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:33 pm 
Forum Newbie

So, I have been given that task as of creating a form for my high school to make the Parent Teacher Conferences be set-up via our website.

I have a mediocre of knowledge of php and mysql.

I need help finding the most efficient way on how to complete this :

Each teacher will have a time that a parent can sign up for, I do know how to make this BUT once one time has already been taken for a certain teacher, no other parent can sign up for that time. I have no idea on how to quantize the amount of parents signing up for one time.

If anyone would know how to tackle this assignment, I would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks everyone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:54 pm 
Forum Regular

Will all teachers have the same initial time slots, or will they have different time/dates available?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:06 pm 
Forum Newbie

Different times, same dates

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:29 pm 
Forum Regular

A table for the teacher's information (id, name, grade/level, room#, email, userid, password (so they can log in to manage things))

A table for the parents if you are going to store their information.

A table that contains timeslot information, such as Time (datetime field), Teacher ID, Parent ID. (if you are not storing parent information, you could do a status field of enum('Open','Booked'))

Go to the main page, list out all the teachers.
Click on the teach name, list their time slots. Any that HAVE a parentID (or status set to "booked"), you can either not display, or just not make it linkable to book
Click on open time slot to book it, then set the value in the timeslot table, either assign the parentID from the new parent record, or set status to "Booked".

NOTE, because these are for only reservation per slot/teacher, when you process the form they fill out to reserve the timeslot, DOUBLE CHECK that the timeslot is still available right before updating database. (Think about it, two parents go to book the same exact time slot. Parent 1 submits their page, but Parent 2 is a slow typer and doesn't hit submit till 30 seconds later. If you do not do the double check, Parent 2 would have just blown away Parent 1's reservation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:17 pm 
Forum Newbie

What do you mean by,"Go to the main page, list out all the teachers. Click on the teach name"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:55 pm 
Forum Regular

you would go to a main page that lists all the teachers. You click on their name to go to a page that lists what time slots they have available.