PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:36 pm 
Forum Newbie

I would be most nterested to hear the views of some experienced PHP'ers, regarding the alternative use of Sessions or URLS, as I'm fairly new to larger php web projects.

I am developing a website that can be accessed by anyone - for the most part, however to get to a 'My Page' the user must login.

I have a login form in a header file that is included on every page, and when it is completed it verifies the user credentials (in a sQL database) then displays a Welcome message, instead of the login form. Every page visited then has this Welcome instead of the login form.

I can get this to work using SESSIONS, - BUT - if I close the browser then go back in - the Welcome stays - ie the Session is still active. (Can a Session be destroyed completely once a browser moves to another site (without having to put code on every possible close event)).

SO - I thought I'd use the ?uname=xxxx on the end of the URL to pass the uname, (and fact that it was logged in) around - BUT - this means changing EVERY link to every page to include the ?uname=xxxx variable.

What is the 'Best Practice' for this situation - Sessions or URL Variables.

Thanks for any advice

Phil

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:33 pm 
Briney Mod

URL variables are a pain in the butt for just the reason you mentioned. In addition, if you only use URL variables, what's to stop me from typing in someone else's username in the URL?

The easiest way to expire sessions is to store a "last_accessed_time" value in $_SESSION. Then, in your header file, check if that "last_accessed_time" is within the last 30 seconds, or 5 minutes, or however long you want the session to last. If "last_accessed_time" is outside that, destroy the session and require the user login again.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:41 pm 
Forum Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:20 pm 
Site Administrator

(#10850)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:15 pm 
Forum Newbie

Thanks all for the suggestions, looks like its SESSIONs for my usage, with the 'last accessed time' being checked and then a SESSION Destroy and back to home/login page.

Very useful advice from all.

Regards

Phil

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:03 am 
Forum Contributor