PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: the basic of the basics
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:50 am 
Forum Commoner

Hello all.

I always find it hard to find the most basic information about the most basic concept in php. I literally waste 2 hours a day browsing through books or forum to get the simplest question answered.

Let me give you an example of what I was asking myself a few minutes ago:

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
$db = new PDO('mysql:host=' . $config['host'] . ';dbname=' . $config['dbname'], $config['username'], $config['password']);

You all recognize a new instance of connecting to a database. I understand the concept really well and can do it my eyes closed. What I never been able to understand is the syntax. can anyone help me with that?

When I look at the php manual this is what I see:

my number one question: Let's say I wanted to learn what the new PDO function does and how to properly format it I would first go the http://ca1.php.net/manual/en/class.pdo.php to read about it. Unfortunately there is no mention anywhere to a function called PDO() the closest thing I can find is PDO::__construct() ( string $dsn [, string $username [, string $password [, array $driver_options ]]] ).

what am I missing here? How can I learn a function when I can't find it in the manual? How would I be able to make an association from PDO() and PDO::__construct() or am I not understand how the information that is provided to me in the book? I have tried to look for how the book is organized section and but can't find that either.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:02 am 

Maybe give the a read? PDO isn't a function, it's a class. You instantiate a class using 'new', which calls the __construct method.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:37 pm 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:56 pm 
Forum Commoner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:17 am 
Forum Newbie

I think PDO is not a function it is a class.

Last edited by requinix on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
removing advertising

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:52 pm 
Site Administrator

(#10850)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:33 am 
Forum Commoner

Well thank you very much for the encouragements and your gracious offer to let me continue to post on the site with my questions. I took a week off to really sink my teeth into the application that I am trying to build and after a week, I realize that I am in it way over my head. There is no way I will ever be able to reproduce the application that I created in MS access in a web application. The sheer size and complexity of the application makes me think that I will require a minimum of 5 years simply to learn the basics of PDO. I just don't have the time to wait that long. There is simply not enough good literature on PDO that I can understand. I decided I am better off dropping PDO and learn how to build my application through procedures instead. At least there is plenty of literature on the topic and I will be able to move forward with my project at least. I'll come back for sure to ask questions lol, no doubt about that! but it will be more likely be about mysqli and weird table join questions lol. cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:30 pm 
Site Administrator

(#10850)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:01 pm 
Forum Commoner

well it's not really the codes that I am having difficulties with, it is more about understanding what is going on in my pages. I purchased a couple of great video tutorials and I understand a lot of the logic with classes, methods and all that. I read a lot of books too. I also get responses from forums too sometime... The problem with this whole thing is nobody use the same style when it comes to writing codes. Whether procedural or PDO everyone have a different way of looking at something and then use different tools(functions) to build it. Take a little bit of this here and a little bit of that there mean I have to constantly modify my codes in order to make things work in harmony. The only way I can see myself progressing with this is if I would find ONE author who talks about everything and how it all works together while always being consistent with his/her codes. I haven't' found such an author yet and when I do, this is when I will first start to learn something I think. I did however found an easy to read and follow series of books by O'Reilly called Head First! I have been working on Php mysqli book since last week and I have learned a few things, which is great! Unfortunately the series of book doesn't' include anything about PDO only procedural which is too bad because I have a really good start on my application in pdo but now working on engineering back into mysqli since I can at least understand what is going on in my pages.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:28 pm 
Site Administrator

No author or book will address everything you need and how it works together. Fortunately or unfortunately, you need to struggle through comprehending the concepts. If you post actual chunks code, rather than staying theoretical, we can provide a lot of help.

(#10850)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:46 am 
Forum Commoner

thank you Christopher, I will do that. Cheers