PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:33 am 
The Ninja Space Mod

I have been reading the gang of four book as well as PHP: Objects, Patterns, and Practice. Both of them have chapters devoted to the Interpreter Pattern. The PHP book even has an appendix with a sample parser with an impressive amount of example code to help understand how and why the interpreter pattern is used. But for whatever reason, even with all that help, I can't seem to wrap my head around this pattern. I know this is a really vague question, and I apologize for that, but I'm just basically wondering if anybody can help me understand this pattern and how, exactly, it works. I am having trouble figuring out what problem it solves. Because according to the PHP book, at least what I understand of it, the interpreter doesn't necessarily incorporate a parser. The parser seems to be out of the scope of the actual pattern. So what IS the interpreter pattern? Can anybody point me in the right direction? What am I missing?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:29 pm 
Spammer :|

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:15 pm 
The Ninja Space Mod

I think that the interpreter pattern is more than I need then. I'm simply needing a parser. The file I am trying to parse is not complicated enough to require the interpreter pattern. It doesn't have variables or operators or anything like that. It just has a grammar of sorts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:23 pm 

You might need a bit more than a parser. Technically speaking, a parser is what turns a sequence of characters into specific tokens. Like in PHP, "class" becomes T_CLASS. Once you get a stream of tokens the lexer kicks in and turns them into something you can work with: T_CLASS("class") T_STRING("c") "{" indicates the class definition of "c".
A full Interpreter could be too much for sure, but you'll probably still want the structuring part of it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:44 am 
The Ninja Space Mod

Oh... I thought it was the other way around. I need to rename my classes then because I have my lexer converting the text into tokens and the parser making sense of them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:41 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:26 am