PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:33 am 
Forum Contributor

Hi, I was reading in a SitePoint adobe pdf book that the good thing about mysqldump is it can be used to backup a MySql database while the MySql server is running and the website is live. I was wondering if phpMyAdmin also has this ability (basically if it is running mySqlDump which can do this). The videos at the link below suggest that it does run mysqldump without directly saying so. My google search was "phpmyadmin execute mysqldump".
http://www.ntchosting.com/encyclopedia/ ... base-dump/

Thanks,
John

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:34 am 

I'm not sure if PMA runs mysqldump under the hood for its export functionality, though I would suspect it does. You can absolutely export your DB with the site up and running, but there are a few caveats. phpMyAdmin is a PHP application and, as such, is subject to PHP's execution time limit. Exports of large databases can then become problematic. With the site up and running, new records continue to be created while the export is running and will not be included in the exported records. This is not necessarily a problem, but is definitely something that warrants keeping in mind.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:07 am 
Forum Contributor

Thanks Celauran. Your answer sure helps because my database is still small and probably only needs PhpMyAdmin backups but I wanted to be sure I could run it without shutting town the database. I am learning mysqldump now (including incremental backups with log-bin). My internet goes down today some time as I switch ISPs. I probably won't complete the mysqldump tests until Friday when I get my internet back. John