PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.
 
Loading
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:12 pm 
Offline
DevNet Master

Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:26 pm
Posts: 2893
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
The key thing about OOP v procedural topics is to keep the discussion *on* topic - I've already explained the problem with this. My general strategy is to ask people to tone it down it down if they start getting heated. If they ignore repeated warnings I'll reach for the weapons of mass moderation.

If it happens that there is a complaint specifically about something I have said, I'll ask them to start a new topic. Squabbles about who said what to whom and why can take place in one location, and technical discussion about the merits of OOP v procedural can take place somewhere else. That way, the two don't get mixed up. If someone wants to complain about my behaviour or that of any other moderator they are free to do so. I think that's fair. It's as fair as I know how to be at any rate.

Sites like devnetwork comprise a kind of online university. This is a fantastic, free and open resource available to anyone anywhere in the world. For some programming is a hobby. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever; nobody is being sneered at. For others, it might be a skill which leads to a new career - perhaps even a route out of poverty. We'd be doing them a huge disservice if we didn't give clear advice. There is so much nonsense written about OOP on the net but if you do plan to have a career as a programmer you have to learn this stuff. The thing that bugs me most about these OOP v procedural disputes is simple intellectual integrity.

All I want to do is hold a door open for those that want to learn. Others seem to want to slam it shut (not members of the old moderator team I should point out).

I'd once again suggest that we all just take it easy for a bit and see what develops. I think we might have found a means to resolve this in a way that both sides will accept. In the meantime, bitter squabbles can only harm both this site and the rival devnetwork2 version. People will simply get turned off both.

If it does happen that we go our separate ways you are welcome to be a member of both sites as far as I am concerned. Perhaps v2 will be particularly good for one subject, and this site will be particularly good for another. You should take full advantage of that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:21 pm 
Offline
Spockulator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:15 pm
Posts: 4713
Location: Eden, Utah
as long as everyone can stay on topic, and there are no further personal attacks, I think we all know that this is home. The "debate" should end, the "discussions" should continue.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:11 am 
Offline
Tutorials Group

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:30 pm
Posts: 2692
McGruff wrote:
If they ignore repeated warnings I'll reach for the weapons of mass moderation.

Well, I don't want this turning into a personal conflict again. However, your weapons of mass moderation were removed, due to abuse of priveledge.

You are a regular user on this forum now.

McGruff wrote:
If someone wants to complain about my behaviour or that of any other moderator they are free to do so. I think that's fair. It's as fair as I know how to be at any rate.

The problem was that when that occurred, and the moderators informed you that they were unhappy with your behavior, you banned them. That was abuse of power, and it wasn't fair. We won't do the same. You are free to speak your peace, as long as you respect the people posting (and by extension, the moderators).

McGruff wrote:
All I want to do is hold a door open for those that want to learn. Others seem to want to slam it shut (not members of the old moderator team I should point out).

To be clear, it was your comment that caused the problem, not mine. You are welcome to your point of view, but the facts tell a different tale. The moderation staff stood by my opinion of your comment, and numerous users have as well. I suggest you follow your advice, and leave it behind us.

McGruff wrote:
I'd once again suggest that we all just take it easy for a bit and see what develops. I think we might have found a means to resolve this in a way that both sides will accept. In the meantime, bitter squabbles can only harm both this site and the rival devnetwork2 version. People will simply get turned off both.

If it does happen that we go our separate ways you are welcome to be a member of both sites as far as I am concerned. Perhaps v2 will be particularly good for one subject, and this site will be particularly good for another. You should take full advantage of that.

We're all back home now, and things are as they should be. v2 will have a different, unique purpose, very soon.

In the meantime, it is exactly as you say: Everyone is welcome here. As long as they follow the rules of the forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group