PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:19 am 
Forum Newbie

Hey there, this is a concept for a web application that could use some help. Check out this video which has an animation and walk-through of what the idea is about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqRbagRpnyw

All in all its about collaborative problem solving. Any feedback or ideas are appreciated. =)

Last edited by Xerond on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:02 pm 
Forum Newbie

Use a decent CMS, be it Joomla, Drupal or any other. All the features are possible to implement and not even that hard.

I would strongly advise to get someone on board who already has experience, cause now it's just an idea and we all have ideas. Implementing is the key, and you need skilled people to do so. I would advise against people you don't know, cause you don't know what to expect. Locals are always best, cause you can meet and talk it through. To put it simple: this should not be difficult at all.

Your major problem is resources and frankly it's a bit strange that all you are building (a website) and producing lacks the sole resource you need, namely tech savvy people. Don't count on total strangers to do your work, or be very very lucky that someone wants to build this simple idea and maintain it.

Not sure whether you want to build another new social network where people have to register or build it within e.g. facebook or twitter. If you at this stage already lack resources for development, then it might be wise to join an already established platform and develop for that platform (e.g. facebook).

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:06 pm 
Forum Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:31 am 
Forum Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:10 pm 
Forum Newbie

Will do, thanks for the advice.

I've been looking around and one of the best CMS' that relates to the project is Pligg.

I've set it up and started to play with it to test its base features and it feel like a good starting point. I've posted on their forums asking for some input as well.

If modifying pligg to meet the design needs of the project involves ripping out and modifying a lot of the code. What would be the greater nuisance? Reconfiguring the CMS or starting from scratch? (from a developers point of view)
Personally as a starting point for myself I'm sure I could eventually figure out how to modify it, but in terms of a developer who knows their stuff and wants to help with the idea, which is more appetizing?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:10 am 
Forum Newbie

Well, modifying code (HTML/CSS) to match the design is something that you have to code either way. Whether you start from scratch or take an existing template depends on your knowledge of the CMS, skills in HTML and the ease of use of the CMS.

I believe that, apart for gigantic websites with a lot (and I mean facebook lots) of users, you don't need to jump on developing your own CMS, unless you got an in-house developer. With an existing CMS, you pay a price: getting used to how it renders the website. That might take time. However, if you know how to do that sort of stuff, you're pretty much independent of developers. Overall, most CMS's have clean code, and though it might be a bit frustrating to start with, after a while you'll get used to it.

Take a look at as well, btw.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:38 am 
Forum Newbie

Just thought I'd stop by and update you all on the progress of the project. So far we've accumulated an international team of developers and the project is moving into task assignment and coding. A ton of progress has been made in project management and design. Most design documentation has been completed, an early browsable mock-layout has been made to give an impression on how the site works, and a back-end framework has been decided upon.

If you're a developer and would like to follow our progress we're handling our source at github:

http://github.com/Syner/Syner

If you're someone who would be interested in using the application once its ready for testing, please sign up for our monthly newsletter on our onesynergy homepage and you'll be contacted once we're ready.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:33 am 
Forum Newbie

Hey everyone, just dropping by to give an update. We’ve recently launched a revamp of the site, along with a video update that covers the progress that the team has made within the past month. You can find that video either from the news section of the above site, or directly from youtube here:

We’ve also just recently launched the developer portal for the application that will be powering The Synergy Project, which is the main hub for developers concerning Syner:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:38 pm 
Forum Contributor

Just wanted to say "I love this".

This is "best use" of the internet.
Co-operative effort resulting in a positive outcome for many people.

You should get onto BBC radio 4 (and therefore the World service) - they have a show (with a truly Global reach as only the BBC can)
called "click on" showcasing interesting things happening in cyber space. This is just the kind of story they like and the
publicity might bring some more good people on board.

LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/cli ... ckon.shtml

Good luck with it and if you need some design work done let me know.
(tony@heagren.com)

Best wishes
Monty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:59 am 
Forum Newbie

Wow thats really cool. I've sent in a suggestion thanks to you. I appreciate the help, and I will surely take your offer into consideration. =)