PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:33 am 
Forum Newbie

Over the last year I have been constructing a social networking website with RPG like qualities. The best way to describe the site, is that I took the current concept of Like and Dislike systems and turned them into a virtual currency to use around the site. I started with nothing, and now I have a pretty good system in place. I've been working to convert everything from tables to CSS and now most of the site is in CSS. The site works by posting Topics or Videos found from around the net that members can Like or Dislike. These Topics can be anything from a link and headline to an already written article or an article written by the member. It can also be a simple status update on how they feel, current happenings, etc. whatever the member wants to share. When a member gives someone a like or dislike, they earn XP (experience points) to level up their account and the member earning the Like or Dislike gets a Like or Dislike to add to their currency. Now the Likes and Dislikes have names, but if I told you what they're called you'd know the name of the website. I want interest from serious programmers first, before I release the name. The main point of the site is to earn and give Likes. The more you level up, the more things you can do. I want to expand on that and truly give social networking a meaning. What happens when you post on Facebook/other sites? Not a lot, your friends or followers see it. That's it. My goal is to change that.

My site isn't just about posting things, it's way more than that. I currently have 5 games that will award you points, xp, and soon to be items. I've been working on an item/inventory system that will further the experience and set this site apart from other social networking websites. I have an achievement system in infancy that totals your overall score similar to Achievements on the Xbox 360. I recently added a random event feature that can evolve nicely to fit any future features.

The site is in beta status, but I have not yet advertised large-scale due to funding issues and the simple fact that it's not ready. I have spent so many hours adding features and shaping the site that I feel really overwhelmed and would feel less strain with a partner.

My website is written mostly in PHP with some Javascript. I just recently began implementing Ajax into certain features of the site. I'm not the best programmer or designer, so this partner would have to be open to helping me structure the site better and prepare for the future. The site as an overall package is quite impressive, but the code could use some work (readability may be an issue but it's not difficult to see my pattern), and security is always a concern of mine. The PHP scripts, images, and design are all written by myself with some exceptions to a few Javascript scripts. So I do have sole ownership of the domain name, and full rights to the site.

I only have a few requirements:

Must be interested in partnering up long-term
Must be dedicated and honest to the project
Must have decent experience with PHP, Mysql, Javascript, and hopefully some Ajax

Now, I truly believe this project has a lot of potential. I wouldn't have invested all of my time into it if I didn't. I've been jobless for almost a year, so that I could pour hours into this. I've done all the programming and all the images. It's time for me to suck it up and try to find some help. I don't have the money nor the energy to do it by myself.

If anyone is interested, please respond to this post or email me at SGBRedline@gmail.com. I have some things to do today, so I won't be able to respond until tonight. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:46 pm 
Forum Newbie

I've had a few emails showing interest but it seems I may have caused some confusion. I just wanted to clear it up.

This is only volunteer work in the form of myself not being able to pay anyone upfront for the help. But please keep in mind I am not asking someone to devote all of their time for nothing, that's not really fair at all. Especially on something of this scale.

I am, however, offering 30%-40% control to the partner. This means that you will be entitled to future earnings when they are ready to be made. You'll also get a equal say in certain aspects of the direction that we take. This is a great chance to join an almost already built application.

I'm only asking for help. I've devoted a lot of thought and time to this project and with the right partner, we could really build something great. A lot of money can be made with this venture.

If anyone wants to check the website out, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the url.

Thanks everyone.