PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: therealmusic.net
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:44 am 
Forum Newbie

Hi all,

I am currently looking for volunteers to help with a website I set up in 2012. Initially, it started as a site hosted by webs.com. Unfortunately, the restrictions on there didn't allow me to have an automated website, which is more ideal for the type of stuff I post. A student volunteered to create a new site for me using PhP and a MySQL database. This was in September 2012. Over a year later, the job is only half finished, the site is not manageable and the student in question shows next to no interest in finishing what he has started.

So a little about my site. We started the site in May 2012. The whole purpose is to review music that doesn't necessarily get picked up on by the corporate media. We aim to promote music because it is worthy of being promoted, rather than simply because we have been paid to promote it. Six months after the launch of the site, we had built up a good working relationship with several artists, record labels and even PR companies, our reputation was getting better and better, giving us access to cover more music we love.

Unfortunately, the site having been under construction for almost a year, there hasn't been much chance to continue this drive. The site has pretty much been down since the summer. It is now visible, but the developer has not deemed it necessary to create "page under construction" messages or the like. A small minor change that takes five minutes will take him well over a month, and that's if he can be bothered.

I am unemployed, for medical reasons, and use the site as a way to improve my confidence and self-esteem. My girlfriend, who helped me set up this website, has recently started a music management course at University and the website should be a valuable tool for her during this time. Unfortunately, and in spite of our efforts, we both feel we have lost something very important to us and would love to get it back.

You can see the site at , the CSS design is very basic as I had to work on it myself, with my very limited knowledge, as the design put forward by the student developer was just impracticable, with absolutely no attention paid to aesthetics. I believe some foundations are there. The database could probably do with being simplified as the student created a very complex network, when a basic one was needed. The rest is simply PhP coding to allow us to have the basic functions our site needs.

We do intend to have a comment section and user interface, but this is not important for now. We just want to be able to publish our news, reviews and features so we can continue the work we started, and hopefully reconnect with artists and labels, who gave us very positive feedback as to our mission before the site became unmanageable.

Hoping to hear from someone

Francois