PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:18 am 
Forum Newbie

Hi

Basically I'm looking for a way to view soundwaves and log data in real time.

Using the program audocity I can use an internal microphone to record sounds from the PC (a video from YouTube for arguments sake) and after, transfer data to excel which logs any sounds over a set db.

I would like this but done in real time, not transferred after.

In my head I imagine a start/stop button so you can choose when to monitor the sound. When a sound over a certain selected db happens, it logs the time straight away into a database. Probably wouldn't even need to view them (no graphical interface), the important part is logging the choosen sound based on a db level.

I have minimal programming skills but understand this is more likely to be Java based than php... Either way it's beyond my capabilities :)

And help appreciated thanks :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:51 pm 
Site Administrator

It sounds like you will have the data in a DB, so your question is really about how to display it. First it depends on whether you want to display it in Windows or on the web? Since you say real-time it sounds like Windows. If Windows then there are many programming languages/tools to do that -- even Office which you are using -- pick the one you are familiar with. If you want to display it on the web, there PHP is perhaps the easiest and most widely available way to do that -- just get the data into the database.

(#10850)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:59 pm 
Forum Newbie

Ideal would be the web. I have an excel sheet that does what I want but it uses a stopwatch, which is only as accurate as the person clicking the start/stop button. To track soundwaves at a certain db would be much more accurate than clicking a a button

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:40 pm 
Site Administrator

If you want it on the web, I would recommend using a server side language to build the page and deliver the data from a database. For the actual display, it sounds like Javascript would be the best solution. You could even sync the display of data with the actual original audio track. The part I don't understand is how to get the db data you are looking for. There must be some command line tool like sox that can get this data for you.

(#10850)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:37 pm 
Forum Newbie

Sounds like you know what you're doing.

When can you start :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:50 pm 
Site Administrator

Apparently, you can sample the audio using Javascript and get RMS values: https://www.google.com/webhp#q=find%20a ... javascript

(#10850)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:05 am 
Forum Newbie

So with the java code, I could make applets and make it work on a website?

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/java/jav ... basics.htm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:04 pm 
Site Administrator

If Java is the language that you know, then use Java. The link I showed was Javascript. Browsers require manual permission to run a Java app, whereas Javascript is native. It really depends. If you want to make it easily available on the web and Javascript has the capabilities then that would be the best solution. If you don't mind enabling a Java app in your browser then do that. A standalone, non-browser application would be the most powerful. There are lots of languages you could use for that.

(#10850)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:18 pm 
Forum Newbie

I know nothing about Java but il have a good go at it :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:17 pm 
Forum Newbie

found this, doesnt seem to record - button does nothing - but if it will work (currently on a server with other stuff, dont know if thats affecting it) then it might be easier to adjust than start a fresh?

Using a mac, no options for microphone on safari or chrome but can select on firefox.

http://codeartists.com/post/36746402258 ... tive-html5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:38 pm 
Site Administrator

You've got a learning curve whichever way you go. If you're on a Mac, my thought would be to find an audio app that has close to the features you need and internally has the data you need. It would probably be in Objective-C or Swift.

(#10850)