PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:31 am 
Forum Newbie

Hey fellas ,

I was clueless about LDAP AND AD when i was told to create a login page for my web-app and check authentication with AD server . After searching through , i came to know what this LDAP is all about .
i need to get started with it , so i have a email feild and password . All worstations at my workplace have access to that server , as we use it to log on to the system . I need to use the same mechnism in my
login page .

please Help me , how to get started with it , what all things will be necessary .
This article will be a great help to not only me but to all new PHP developers because somewhere down the line everyone is going to need this .

P.S. I have the host name and port of the server where all login details are present i need some php class and tweaks in it to access it on hitting the login button .

Thanks .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:56 pm 
DevNet Resident

Sounds like you might need to hire someone to help. I had to google it just to see what you were talking about. Active Directory (AD) is Microsoft's Implementation of an LDAP based directory server. I try to avoid Microsoft stuff. I also discovered that PHP has some [URL=http://php.net/manual/en/function.ldap-connect.php]built in LDAP functions[/URL] too. If you write some code and get stuck with it, then post it here for help, but that's about as far as we go on this forum...well without getting paid.

[QUOTE]Active Directory is a database based system that provides authentication, directory, policy, and other services in a Windows environment

LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) is an application protocol for querying and modifying items in directory service providers like Active Directory, which supports a form of LDAP.

Short answer: AD is a directory services database, and LDAP is one of the protocols you can use to talk to it.[/QUOTE]