PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:01 am 
Admin

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
<?

function str_makerand ($minlength, $maxlength, $useupper, $usespecial, $usenumbers)

{

/*

Description: string str_makerand(int $minlength, int $maxlength, bool $useupper, bool $usespecial, bool $usenumbers)

returns a randomly generated string of length between $minlength and $maxlength inclusively.

Notes:

- If $useupper is true uppercase characters will be used; if false they will be excluded.

- If $usespecial is true special characters will be used; if false they will be excluded.

- If $usenumbers is true numerical characters will be used; if false they will be excluded.

- If $minlength is equal to $maxlength a string of length $maxlength will be returned.

- Not all special characters are included since they could cause parse errors with queries.

Modify at will.

*/

$charset = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";

if ($useupper)   $charset .= "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ";

if ($usenumbers) $charset .= "0123456789";

if ($usespecial) $charset .= "~@#$%^*()_+-={}|][";   // Note: using all special characters this reads: "~!@#$%^&*()_+`-={}|\\]?[":;'><,./";

if ($minlength > $maxlength) $length = mt_rand ($maxlength, $minlength);

else                         $length = mt_rand ($minlength, $maxlength);

for ($i=0; $i<$length; $i++) $key .= $charset[(mt_rand(0,(strlen($charset)-1)))];

return $key;

}

?>

Comments should explain everything nicely.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:11 am 
DevNet Resident

Hey B,

Just checked out your code. Some cool things in my opinion. Being able to use the special characters is awesome. Cool idea.

Here are some thoughts.

1) The variable length thing is kind of cool, but what would this be used for? If it's to generate random passwords, the longer the better right? If that's the use, I'd drop the overhead of finding out what size the returned string is going to be.

2) If I'm not mistaken, this....

$charset = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";

is a string, but this

$key .= $charset[(mt_rand(0,(strlen($charset)-1)))];

is referring to $charset as an array. So which is it? I added a couple of lines to the function to echo out the var type using gettype. It comes back string both times. Turn your error reporting all the way up and see what comes back. I got a feeling that PHP is covering for you somewhere in here. Either that, or there is something here that I don't know. Normally, $var[$number] is going to reference an element of an array. Not a position in a string. It's possible that PHP is figuring out what's needed. Especially when we remember that at the engine level (the php core), which is written in C, a string is actually an array of characters.

Now while PHP can do this for you, it's slower. You may have been better off to implement this using an array.

Consider me confused.

3) You may also want to consider curly braces and indentation. It would make the code more readable. Perhaps something like...

if ($minlength > $maxlength)

{ $length = mt_rand ($maxlength, $minlength); }

// or

if ($minlength > $maxlength) {

$length = mt_rand ($maxlength, $minlength);

}

// or

if ($minlength > $maxlength)

{

$length = mt_rand ($maxlength, $minlength);

}

Now I have a password generator that doesn't do the cool special characters, but it is capable of generating a passwd with a percentage of numbers based on weight. Here is how it works.

1) If the wieght is set to 26, then you will receive all upper case letters. Not good that one. You're just begging to get hacked with that! 8O

2) If you set it to 52, then it is capable of setting a 50/50 split of upper and lower case letters.

3) If you set it to 104, the you are likely to recieve a 50/50 split of characters and numbers.

4) If you set it to 208, you will most likely see twice as many numbers as characters.

Of course, you can use any number you want for the weight. Same goes for the length. You will also see that there are some default values as well.

Here it is...

function gen_pass($pass_length='', $weight='')

{

$genned_pass='';                                                                                        # Our string var

!empty($pass_length) ? '' : $pass_length=25;                            # First, set the lenght of the password

!empty($weight) ? '' : $weight=104;                                                     # Now let's set the weight

# Then also set the letter array

$letters=array(1=>'A', 2=>'B', 3=>'C', 4=>'D', 5=>'E', 6=>'F', 7=>'G', 8=>'H',

9=>'I', 10=>'J', 11=>'K', 12=>'L', 13=>'M', 14=>'N', 15=>'O',

16=>'P', 17=>'Q', 18=>'R', 19=>'S', 20=>'T', 21=>'U', 22=>'V',

23=>'W', 24=>'X', 25=>'Y', 26=>'Z', 27=>'a', 28=>'b', 29=>'c', 30=>'d',

31=>'e', 32=>'f', 33=>'g', 34=>'h', 35=>'i', 36=>'j', 37=>'k', 38=>'l',

39=>'m', 40=>'n', 41=>'o', 42=>'p', 43=>'q', 44=>'r', 45=>'s', 46=>'t',

47=>'u', 48=>'v', 49=>'w', 50=>'x', 51=>'y', 52=>'z');

# Now build the password string

for($x=0; $x<$pass_length; ++$x)

{

mt_srand(make_seed());

$rand_out=mt_rand(1, $weight);

if($rand_out>52)

{

$num=mt_rand(1, 9);

settype($num, "string");

$genned_pass.=$num;

}                      

else

{ $genned_pass.=$letters[$rand_out]; }                 

}

return $genned_pass;

}

function make_seed()

{

list($usec, $sec) = explode(' ', microtime());

return (float) $sec + ((float) $usec * 100000);

}

The make_seed() function is needed. I should just put those two lines inside the funcition. As a matter of fact, I think I will do that later.

One thing is certain, I'm prolly going to add some of those special characters to the array. I will most likely also create a second $weight var.

Tell me what you think.

Cheers,
BDKR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:45 pm 
Forum Contributor

see php man for [php_man]pack[/php_man]
<?

//Generate a random string with special chars

function GenerateUniqueID( $length = 20 ) {

$uniqueID = '';

for ( $counter = 0; $counter < $length; $counter++ ) {

$uniqueID .= pack('C' , rand( 48 , 122));

}

return($uniqueID);

}

//Generate a random string using only a-zA-Z

function GenerateUniqueID( $length = 20 ) {

$charList = '';

$uniqueID = '';

for ( $preCount = 65 , $postCount = 97; $preCount < 91 && $postCount < 123; $preCount++, $postCount++ ) {

$charList[] = pack('C' , $preCount);

$charList[] = pack('C' , $postCount);

}

for ( $counter = 0; $counter < $length; $counter++ ) {

$uniqueID .= $charList[rand(0 , (count($charList) - 1))];

}

return($uniqueID);

}

?>