PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:10 pm 
Forum Newbie

hi, i have installed xampp on Ubuntu janunty but php version is 5.2.9. how can i upgrade it to php 5.3?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:41 am 
Forum Newbie

I suggest always installing PHP from source, because it's the only way you can configure the install command to include all the stuff you want.

you just download the source code, extract it anywhere, go into he location you extracted it and run (as root):

./configure

Typically, you'll want to pass it a buttload of arguments to configure things to your liking.. For example, this is what I write:

./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --with-mysql --with-zlib --with-gd --enable-gd --with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local/ --with-png-dir=/usr/local --with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/bin --with-libxml2-dir=/usr/local --enable-calendar --with-sockets --enable-sockets --with-zlib --enable-ftp --with-curl --with-curlwrappers --with-gmp

After the configuration script is done you build the binary by writing (again, as root):

make

It takes a while to build the binary, but once it's done you write:

make install

I encourage you to do it from source simply because I've learned from personal experience that it seems to be the only way you are sure you are setting up everything as you need or want (a lot of default distros don't come with everything, so it's best to customize).