PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:33 am 
Forum Commoner

i want to learn and practice the development of php and sql in linux system,but there are too many linux system,i don't know which one i should choose.who can tell me the best or better linux system to develop php.eg: ubuntu ,centos...any tips would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:13 am 
Forum Regular

There is no BEST Linux system. It really depends on what you want to do with it. For starters though, I'd go with Ubuntu. It's relatively easy to install and it will give you a good working base to learn from. There's plenty of Linux tutorials on line, I suggest you avail yourself of them. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:08 am 
Forum Newbie

for th development of php and sql you can use ubuntu..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:32 am 
DevNet Resident

if you have to ask, i would say ubuntu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:04 pm 
Forum Newbie

I use UBUNTU since its has GUI and its easy to use compare to centos or redhat + Ubuntu is lighter from my experience.

But it depend on what are you going to do with this linux

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:02 pm 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:12 am 
Forum Regular

I would recommend using debian. It seems more lightweight to me. You also don't necessarily need to use a gui if you dont want to. As for GUI's, id say install LXDE or XFCE

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:17 am 
Forum Newbie

What is the best linux distribution for learning to use many?
First, a bit about my background.. I currently work as a Network Engineer, mainly with Cisco routers/switches and VPN devices. I am throughly familiar with Windows, both as a workstation and server, and have one more test to go to complete my MCSE. However, I have no real experience with Linux, and feel like this is both a hole in my personal knowledge and in my resume. :) I can do basic user stuff both from a command line and in Xwindows, but have no real command of it.

That said, I intend to rectify this. I want to start using Linux as my primary operating system on my personal PC, as I feel this is a great first step to really force myself to learn it. I need to know what distribution would be best for me to use. My concern is some of them seem to have alot of propriatary tools that are not found in other linux distros, I want to find one to learn on that will best allow me to be comfortable on any linux distro I run into in the future. Thanks much for your advice!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:29 am 
Forum Regular

look for answer in post # 2....

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:51 pm 
Forum Newbie

When it comes to development, it does not matter what distro you use. The tools to develop are the real question in development. That being said, when it comes to actually deployment, you will want to use Red Hat Enterprise Linux (Centos), the standard Linux deployment choice for most major corporations and system analysts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:04 am 
Forum Newbie

If you are beginner in Linux, I would suggest Ubuntu and for a beginner developer I would suggest Fedora or OpenSUSE because of the way servers are configured. You can use latest Ubuntu version is really easy to use and as good as Windows. While, Fedora Core 9 is used in many business environments.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:20 pm 
DevNet Evangelist

I tried several distros when I started learning sometime around 2003.

1. Gentoo (from memory) is for advanced users, power users who want complete control over their OS. By compiling everything from scratch, you can decide what version (and in some cases features) to include or exclude in the build. This takes forever and is rarely rewarding as a Linux newbie, though I am a control freak so it really appealed to me.

2. Red Hat. Is most common in the Enterprise, not because it's superior, but probably because of it's marketing and business strategy. Red Hat to me has always seemed a little to commercialized for software advertising itself as OSS.

3. Linux from scratch. This is similar to Gentoo, but from what I could tell, required building everything from the ground up, literally from scratch and assembling/configuring everything manually. You start by building a kernel and installing that, then boot loaders, drivers, etc. This would definetely be the best way if what your end goal was to become a master of distros. You work at such a low level, picking up other distros would be easy.

4. Ubuntu. The most Windows like Linux distro IMO. That has it's pros and it's cons. It's so similar to Windows (adding file permissions) you likely iwll not really "learn" linux, at least as well as you should as a PHP/SQL developer. It's GUI will shield you from much of the low level workings.

Ubuntu is a desktop, Debian is better suited to hosting web applications running under a LAMP stack. Debian makes it easy to setup a LAMP stack as well, and it's package manager APT is just enough abstraction that you will learn as you go.

Personally, if your running LAMP web applications, I say Debian is the best choice, it's support for those systems is excellent and most dependency packages will usually support debian, making basic installation via APT a breeze. I have only once or twice been forced into download tarballs and compiling manually, every other time I have been able to rely on pre-existing Debian packages.

Linux unlike Windows, has dozens and dozens of layers, at least layers which are quitre visible to the end user. At one time Windows ran on top of DOS and had a very layered feel. With Windows 95, they reversed that role and the CLI went the way of the DoDo bird. Linux, albeit a lot more stable than Windows 3.1 has a similar layered feel to it. Various Windows managers, etc.

Anyways, what distro you use depends on your requirements, you mention somethihng about learning Linux and PHP/SQL then IMO Debian is your best choice.

Two suggestions I would make:

1. Download WinSCP
2. Download putty

Use these two applications from within your known Windows environement, remote management is an important skill anyways and learning the Linux FS is a lot easier when you can visually see the structure/files.

It's perhaps important to mention, that Debian being a system designed for web app delivery, does require you to learn about Video cards, drivers, etc, something I found frustrating and confusing when playing in Ubuntu.

Debian is minimal by default and remains that way. Nothing complex, over engineered, etc. It just works!!!

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:34 pm 
Forum Contributor

I like Fedora. Fedora is the proving ground for RHEL and offers a pretty easy transition to RHEL, and in the meantime has a very fast release cycle so generally the applications provided are very current.

Fedora enforces very strict gpl compliance with everything they distribute through their yum repositories, so you do get to do a little extra fishing around for some multimedia software. For example, the default Fedora doesn't include any .mp3, you have to get that through a different non-Fedora repository.