PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Building a Cloud
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:21 pm 
Forum Regular

I've got two servers available to me. I want to span the two together such that I build an Ubuntu Linux cloud, and then launch VMs inside that cloud. I'm not really concerned with failover at this point -- that can come later. What is the technique to do this?

Post subject: Re: Building a Cloud
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:41 am 
Forum Regular

Here's what I learned about private cloud computing.

Ubuntu has a free cloud offering for a private cloud. They use a mix of Eucalyptus and either Xen or KVM (your choice).

However, unless you're going to rebuild your PHP app to take advantage of a cloud with cloud APIs, it's not an ideal solution to use a cloud arrangement. In fact, it may make an app run slower versus, say, a web farm. I mean, a VM inside a cloud is only server-specific, and server-resource-specific. It doesn't spill over to other cloud nodes when it has a system load peak. But, if you use cloud APIs, then it floats around multiple VMs, and that's where you get real performance.

If you don't plan to use cloud APIs, then a better solution is to use LVS. For instance, if all you're trying to do is host like 5000 WordPress blogs and handle system load spikes, then the LVS solution is for you.

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/

This lets you...well...this link explains it best and shows a diagram:

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/whatis.html

It gives you a nice web farm, and handles PHP session management for you because it takes a given IP address and always maps it to the same server.