PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:20 am 
Forum Contributor

Depends what for,
For Hosting CENTOS as its the most stable.
For Desktop purposes Ubuntu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:50 am 
DevNet Master

It depends on whether you're more comfortable with Debian based or Redhat based distros. They differ in many ways. Debian would be as stable as CentOS but normally older packages. I use Ubuntu for server and Kubuntu for desktop. They are stable and provide new packages. I used to use Mandrake and Fedora and now have a CentOS server, but I have had no end of problems when updating/upgrading them. No problems whatsoever in years of updating/upgrading Ubuntu. Regardless, unless you need specific features only available in a another distro I would stick with Ubuntu or CentOS, Ubuntu being my preference.

mysql_function(): WARNING: This extension is deprecated as of PHP 5.5.0, and will be removed in the future. Instead, the MySQLi or PDO_MySQLextension should be used. See also MySQL: choosing an API guide and related FAQ for more information.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:55 am 
DevNet Evangelist

Debian IMO does it best in the toolset it offers, with a2enmod, a2ensite, etc. Debian APT is pretty awesome too. :)

For web hosting, I have always gone with Debian, it's been the cats meow.

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:57 pm 
Forum Commoner

I surprised this hasn't turned into a war. :D

I prefer Fedora because I have a lot of experience with Red Hat. Ubuntu seems nice also but I wasn't in the mood to learn the ins and outs of it.

I used to use a Linux desktop for years but gave up on it in favor of Mac. From what I gather Ubuntu has a nicer desktop than many others. I never cared for Gnome which is the Fedora/RedHat desktop default.

Debian always has a strong following. I never cared for it as it's very different from Redhat and the others, most of which are / were based on RedHat.

I don't like Redhat enterprise. It is too much extra work installing updates and bothering with support licenses unless you have a whole lot of systems.

To each their own I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:23 am 
Forum Regular

Well, I don't know that its being open source is a defence against viruses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:23 am 
Forum Newbie

Red Hat Enterprise Linux would also be one the good option to opt for the Server. After implementing yum package manager, Red Hat has made totally hassle free to remove the dependency and up-gradation.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:16 am 
Forum Contributor

There is no such thing, as "the best distro". It depends on your needs. For example, Ubuntu devs do a really good job and I appreciate their product, but personally, I use Arch Linux and I can't imagine chaning it to anything else. And for servers, I'd choose yet another distro.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:57 am 
Forum Newbie

Ubuntu is best becoz the community support is available.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:36 am 

Zyxist wrote:
There is no such thing, as "the best distro". It depends on your needs.

QFT

Whenever someone talks about 'best', my reaction is always 'best at what?' I love Arch for my personal machines, and use CentOS frequently as a server platform. CentOS ships with some pretty antiquated PHP binaries, though, so I use something else again for web servers. It's all about satisfying a specific need, hence why there are so many distros from which to choose.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:32 am 
Forum Newbie

Zyxist wrote:
There is no such thing, as "the best distro". It depends on your needs. For example, Ubuntu devs do a really good job and I appreciate their product, but personally, I use Arch Linux and I can't imagine chaning it to anything else. And for servers, I'd choose yet another distro.

QFT. I'm also a arch linux user and wouldn't ever imagine changing it to anything else (until OpenBSD has better device support that is).
For desktops and laptops, arch all the way.
For servers, debian is my choice. It simply never fails on me and I can get a full LAMP stack up and operational in < 10 min and not have to worry about it for months/years afterwards.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:29 am 
Forum Newbie

I prefer mepis for desktop some people like mint they are both Debian and use Ubuntu as core. Ubuntu is a great Linux but it has issues with preparatory devices like nvidia and there new desktop Unity many don't like but Kubuntu the KDE offshoot is Very Nice. mint works great but I love the mepis community and that is what is important to me. For Red Hat there is Fedora the open community of Red hat very nice for desktop if your looking to run a server Red Hat Enterprise Linux is the best and available as CentOS that is the OS I am using now. For me it is the best because I am running a server for development and I want my code run perfect on a linux box because I program in windows and need to test my code before I upload it because it uses too much bandwidth and time to upload files and test live. But it is not for the week or newbies it takes some time and experience to deal with CentOS But it's core is RHEL and that is best of the best in the server world. But for a newbie to linux I would suggest Mepis there is nothing that you cant find with the mepis community and if you need to figure something out they are there to help and it boots up in KDE the hottest desktop right now. I switched my CentOS to KDE and it is so beautiful puts windows to shame. The only problem I have with linux is that there is no more excuses. I don't have to fight viruses and spyware so I am faced with getting the work I have done. That I miss kinda LOL from the windows environment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:50 am 
Forum Commoner

Asking which distro is "best" is just asking for a war in your thread. You need to be more specific in what you're going to do with your distro and your level of technical experience.
IMO Ubuntu is the easiest to use and has the best support community. There are also many other distros based on Ubuntu such as Backtrack (loaded with security tools) and Medibuntu(for Media) that are very easy to install. Ubuntus' live CD has options that allow you to easily install it next to Windows (or another OS) for dual booting and you can also try the OS without even installing it. (Just download the live CD and you'll have a nice GUI to try it out.)
So far, the only semi-major issues I have had with Ubuntu is getting my old ATI graphics card to work properly with accelerated graphics (but I really think that is ATIs fault.) It is possible to get it working, but takes a bit of effort. I prefer nVidia cards anyways, but mine just burnt out. (Oh yeah, and Adobe flash player 64 bit was PITA to get working right.) That said, it's been a while since I have tried either of the aeformetion; and the speed of development in the Ubuntu community is awesome IMO.
My two favorite things about Ubuntu (or any Linux distro) is how easy it is to make your desktop look freakin' awesome. And the software center in Ubuntu; Hella. Now 99.9% of the time anything you need is in there, and better yet, it's free and can be downloaded and installed from right there with a single click. Also with Ubuntu, I can install LAMP with a single command, I find that most things can be done with a single command in the terminal.
Enough Rambling. I'd would recommend you try Ubuntu, Fedora, & FreeBSD to start with.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:53 pm 
Site Administrator

I would echo what others have said above.

- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for corporate use because of the stability and paid support
- CentOS is great for hosting
- Ubuntu is streamlined for easy install and update
- Debian is the all-around DIY king. Most other distros (other than RHEL and Fedora) are based on Debian.
- There are many other distros tailored to a specific desktop environment if you have a preference
- Also, there are many, many application specific distros for anything you can think of -- settop boxes, music, graphics, telephony, robotics, etc., etc.

(#10850)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:44 am 
Forum Commoner

How to Install a Linux Operating System to a Flash Drive and Install Portable Versions of Favorite Applications?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:02 am 

I have never done it, but maybe take a look at http://www.pendrivelinux.com ?