PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:50 am 
DevNet Evangelist

Something that automatically discovers IP's on a given network/subnet, similar to nmap. Using this polled data the system should then use SNMP to gather as much detail of each as possible. Individual service monitoring would be abonus, if you can do this Windows or SNMP specifically I am not sure. We have a network of about 500-600 machines (sadly no one knows exactly because the network has grown organically over 15 years). I ran an nmap to build a list of some of the nodes, most of which have no friendly name to tell us whose computer it was, making remote assistance more difficult.

Ideally a system where nodes were detected in a polling fashion and organized into departments. Browsing the bandwidth, usage, services, etc of each node would then be a bonus.

I have Googled and found Cacti (PHP which is a big bonus) looks interesting but would prefer to view other options.

Know of any systems?

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:45 am 
DevNet Master

http://www.nagios.org ?

Not sure what you meant by
alex.barylski wrote:
Browsing the bandwidth, usage, services, etc of each node would then be a bonus.

It would require installation of a client-node software (like in http://munin-monitoring.org).

Also, bandwidth monitoring is usually done in the company gateway... Could help you with that if it's a Linux gateway/router/shaper :P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:00 pm 
Forum Commoner

Cacti is great but it doesn't have an auto discover feature. I like to use it for switches, routers, and firewalls.

PCs don't usually have SNMP configured and running. nmap or a web UI would probably be the way to go for that since you could just listen in.

Cacti can monitor bandwidth on a managed switch. I've found that helpful in the past to find hogs.