PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:38 pm 
Forum Commoner

Hi all Linux expert , I am willing to apply for PHP positions but i notice that Linux experience is must in most of the openings , So what i need to know about Linux in order to be able to apply for this jobs :(
thanx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:30 pm 
DevNet Resident

Most servers run on Linux. There's a lot of configuration, options and modules. Depending on what type of job it is they probably want you to know something about the systems they are running. Since Linux is free, you should try setting up your own server and using that OS for a while. You'll find it is much more powerful than Windows, IMHO.

They might also have all their database and configuration management and testing tools in Linux so familiarity with how to get around in Linux would be important.

You could also pickup a Linux book to help get you started, but there is a lot of info on the web too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:39 pm 

Eric! wrote:
Since Linux is free, you should try setting up your own server and using that OS for a while.

+1

The best way to learn is by doing. If you don't have a spare machine around and aren't willing to dual-boot, set up a Linux distro (or several!) in a virtual machine. The Gentoo and Arch forums especially are a treasure trove of knowledge, even if you aren't using either of those distros (and as a beginner, I don't recommend that you do).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:31 am 
Forum Commoner

Thank you so much for your time i will install v machine and i will install Ubuntu , but i still don't know what i should tray to do with is ?! should i install XAMPP ?? , thank you again

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:23 am 

XAMPP is pointless in Linux. Just install the regular old LAMP stack.

Since you said you'll be using Ubuntu:
Code:
sudo aptitude install phpmyadmin mysql-server

phpMyAdmin somehow doesn't have mysql-server as a dependency, but will pull in everything else you need.

As for what to do with it, well, obviously get familiar with the command line. Set up a version control system; this is good to have, good to know, and will help familiarize you with the CLI. Learn at least the basics of vim. Cron is indispensible. Screen wouldn't be a bad idea. Rsync.

EDIT: Oh, and grep. Master grep.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:49 pm 
Forum Contributor

My recommendation for building your local server:

You could visit http://www.ispconfig.org/ispconfig-3/documentation/ and pick a 'perfect server' install tutorial for your desired flavor of linux.

Build an ispconfig3 server, and spend the time to analyze and understand each and every step of the setup.

When you're done you'll
1. you'll have a superior local linux testing server
2. you'll have a good understanding of the different software that is needed to build a full-function web server, and how php fits in with the rest of the server software
3. you'll have learned a bunch about linux and linux commands

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:43 am 
Forum Contributor

The above post looks really good, i would add that if you are looking at that sort of stuff, then I would make sure to learn the differences between debian/ubutnu and RHEL (ie CentOS)

While there are subtle differences in their initial configuration, there is 1 very important aspect of CentOS or other RHEL. And that is SELinux.

SELinux (Security Enhanced Linux) plays a very important role in keeping your server secure from hack attempts and root kits.
These are permissions set on top of regular permissions. Even if someone is able to gain access to your filesystem via a website, as long as SELinux is set up, then they cant fully destroy your entire OS.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:42 pm 
Forum Commoner

Thank you all , i really apreciat all that effort , that's a useful information , it's will take a while to learn all that hopefully i can make it very soon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:31 pm 
Forum Commoner

now i learned all this tasks:

1-copy move rename folders
2-install lamp or (apache,mysql,myadmin,php)
3-update , remove lamp
4-stop,start,restart lamp
5-create , edit,delete files
6-kill task (Top)

do you think there is more issues i should cover in-order to meet with the php developer jobs that require Linux experience , thank you

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:40 am 

Have you learned the topics I mentioned earlier? I think those are pretty important.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:39 pm 
Jack of Zircons

I would warn you not to think that you can study Linux for a few months and be able to qualify for a position that requires "Linux experience." You will probably be very disappointed. When an employer states that requirement, it usually means they want someone who has been earning their living working with Linux for long enough to become familiar with nearly every part of Linux. That takes years. But don't let that discourage you from learning! Just don't expect to qualify for jobs that state "Linux experience" for awhile.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:06 am 
Forum Commoner

first of all thank you all for your time , i meant to say that is that tasks that i learned it's considered as the basic Linux experience for the back end developer or there is more and more issues i should cover. cause i thought that the PHP developer just need to know overview Linux cause he is not the Admin !!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:59 pm 
Jack of Zircons

What you have to realize is that "Linux experience" is not a defined set of skills. It means whatever the employer who placed the ad thinks it means, in his particular environment. The distinction I wanted to make is that "experience" generally means actual work for which you were paid, not just knowledge. Anybody can guess what a particular job offer really is looking for, but the only sure way to know is to contact the employer and ask what the specifically need.

Still, it is good to study all subjects related to the kind of work you are trying to apply for. In that sense, I would suggest that a basic knowledge of Linux systems and commands would be advisable, but perhaps not necessarily all the detail skills that a system administrator would need to know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:50 pm 
Forum Contributor

If i may recommend - search google for "Linux Rute tutorial free pdf book".
It starts with the very basics and extends to advanced shell scripting by the end.
I am still reading it for the last 3 months - taking my time to digest things before moving ahead