PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:47 pm 
Forum Regular

I was wondering, my Linux VM has to earn its keep. So now Google wants world+dog all using TLS 1.2 security I figure why not make my VM do something useful.

so instead of www, i figure ca.hardcoregames.biz could act as a certificate authority

found one manual with some ideas

https://networklessons.com/uncategorized/openssl-certification-authority-ca-ubuntu-server/

any suggestions, references or packages?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:26 am 
Site Administrator

Like that link demonstrates, generating keys, etc. is all Open SSL, and then NTP of you want to run your own nameserver. Not sure why you want to do that given that certificates can be gotten for free these days.

(#10850)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:23 pm 
Forum Regular

I was looking at mechanizing certificates for a portfolio of websites which need certificates

It seems to be overkill needing a certificate for say a recipe site etc, do not see why Google is so arrogant about it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:27 pm 
Site Administrator

Vegan wrote:
I was looking at mechanizing certificates for a portfolio of websites which need certificates
They won't be accepted by browsers, but they can work if the users understand that they are still encrypted and allow the browser exception.

Vegan wrote:
It seems to be overkill needing a certificate for say a recipe site etc, do not see why Google is so arrogant about it
Not arrogant, just trying to encourage the simplest rule that eliminates common mistakes not encrypting pages that should be.

(#10850)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:10 pm 
Forum Regular

All I know is that I have now created the basics for a CA but I am still trying to put the rest of the components together

my private certificate is set for 10 years so i can ignore that for a while