PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:37 am 
Forum Contributor

Hey guys , so i wanted to create a database in my cpanel and i opened the PHPmyadmin and to my surprise i see the below screen ,

http://imgur.com/a/S0Msa

now how do i go about making a database ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:43 am 

That's not cPanel, it's PHPMyAdmin. If you have cPanel, there's likely a new database wizard or some such where you create new databases, new database users, and assign the latter to the former. If this is your DO box, just SSH in and create via command line is probably easiest.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:22 am 
Forum Contributor

oops , yes i actually meant to say phpmyadmin. Thanks though celauran. I managed to get my blogup , basically when i had setup my blog locally , i had gone through the setup and set my "database" , 'user' , "password" , now ofcourse , these credentials are different for the blog hosted on my server , after i uploaded my files, i went and edited my database.php file , after that i performed a few more steps , i exported my local database and then in my phpmyadmin online , i imported my database .... AND bham !! everything works fine . My blog is up and running now.

So basically i performed 2 steps to get my blog running :-
1. edited my database.php file on the server with the correct credentials (Which as i stated are different than those of my local copy).
2. Exported my local database and then in my phpmyadmin online , i imported it.

Now my question :-

So every time i edit something locally will i have to repeat the above two steps , is this the optimum way of doing stuff ? or am i missing something ? :D

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:48 am 

Changes to your code will have to be deployed to the server, yes. This can be something as simple as git pull or you can use a dedicated deployment tool like Capistrano. CMS content can be entered directly on the live site. That's the point of a CMS.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:16 am 
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Changes to your code will have to be deployed to the server, yes. This can be something as simple as git pull or you can use a dedicated deployment tool like Capistrano.

awesome thanks.

Quote:
CMS content can be entered directly on the live site. That's the point of a CMS.

Absolutly thats right , i could have just done a fresh install on my server of the postleaf CMS and them gone on from there , BUT ... i am actually also working on modifying the templates (the default template that i am using.) , so i really have to do the editing locally and then re deploy.