Photoshop Layer Mask question

Need help with Photoshop, the GIMP, Illustrator, or others? Want to show off your work? Looking for advice on your newest Flash stuff?

Moderator: General Moderators

RobertGonzalez
Site Administrator

Photoshop Layer Mask question

Post by RobertGonzalez »

Is there anyone that can tell me why the fade effect using a layer mask in these two tutorials results in absolutely nothing to my image?
Tutorial 1
Tutorial 2
I am by no means a graphics guru, but almost every other PS tutorial I have followed resulted in the expected outcome. This one, for some reason, does not. I select the text, flip it, rasterize it, click 'Add layer mask', set the gradient, pull and ... nothing, no change. Any help would be appreciated.
feyd
Neighborhood Spidermoddy

Post by feyd »

You chose to "reveal all" instead of "hide all" yes? Also, you may have been on a different mode than what they are expecting (normal) in your gradient tool.
RobertGonzalez
Site Administrator

Post by RobertGonzalez »

Yes, reveal all (Layer -> Layer Mask -> Reveal All). I have no idea what that mode deal is all about.

Edit | Ok there is something else weird about this. In the layer mask, I can marquee a section of the mask, fill it with black and the section disappears. But I cannot gradient fill the marquee. That seems to not make much sense.

Edit 2 | Never give a dev geek a graphics toy, uh tool, and let him play. It is just plain dangerous.
feyd
Neighborhood Spidermoddy

Post by feyd »

Everah wrote:Edit 2 | Never give a dev geek a graphics toy, uh tool, and let him play. It is just plain dangerous.
So did you get it fixed?
RobertGonzalez
Site Administrator

Post by RobertGonzalez »

Nope. With a selected area in the layer mask, if I use a fill or a sponge tool with black, it will remove the areas that are not be visible. However, a gradient does nothing at all to remove any visibility.

I am going to mess with this at home tonight and see if my setups are different.
feyd
Neighborhood Spidermoddy

Post by feyd »

Are you in "normal" mode for the gradient tool?
RobertGonzalez
Site Administrator

Post by RobertGonzalez »

Let me check. I need to fire it back up.
RobertGonzalez
Site Administrator

Post by RobertGonzalez »

Ok, sorry for the necessary hand holding, but how in the blazes do I know if I am in normal mode for the gradient tool?

Edit| Fricking someone slap me. I was in screen, not normal, and now that I am normal it works and I feel abnormally stupid. Thanks feyd, once again.