PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: program
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:19 am 
Forum Newbie

hey guys,

what is the best program to start making own site?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:27 am 
DevNet Master

A pencil and paper. :P Luckily for me, I have a tablet ^_^

Where you start is very subjective. Are you asking this question about the front-end (which I assume you are since you posted in 'Graphics')? I prefer to use Flash, but that is because I've been using Flash for animation and art for a very long time. My designer likes to use Photoshop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:23 pm 
Jack of Zircons

What superdezign is really trying to tell you is that you should start by not using a program to generate a web page or an entire site. The hardest part of web design (in my opinion) is deciding what it will look like, what pages you will need, how the navigation will be arranged, etc. You don't need a program to do that part, in fact if you try to jump into the creation of the code first, you will really be sorry! Planning must come first.

If you have your ideas properly planned on paper, you can use pretty much any program to generate the code. As superdezign said (reworded), if you ask ten people that question, you will get eleven answers. It depends on how complex the web site will be, whether it will have database or other features, also what server side language you plan to use, and especially, what you already have experience using. There really isn't any "best program." Since most web pages that I create are relatively simple, I like to use a simple text editor with syntax highlighting, rather than a WYSIWYG program. Others have different needs and different experience and they will have different preferences.