PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:15 pm 
Forum Newbie

Hello everyone,

I need some help finding a solution to turn my current logo into a simple cog or gear. The first idea I had was to create a square and use it to create a squared point on the end of each section. The problem is that it is too difficult for me to align the squares in the center of the sections. My second idea was to eliminate the rounded edge to each section and create an angled edge like a rhumbus (if I spelled that correctly :P). Again I am unsure how to accurately accomplish this.

So I am looking for some techniques and ideas to help me accomplish this goal. I am asking because I am a fairly novice user in photoshop and gimp and am looking to learn some new techniques from the community to reuse later on. I don't expect anyone to finish my work for me, but you are free to download the image and play with it if you like. Your ideas do not have to follow the paths I had in the first paragraph, so I am open to all ideas.

Here is the current logo below,

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:39 am 
Forum Regular

I like GIMP too, but I often find it is easier to create objects in something like Inkscape (available for free from http://www.inkscape.org. It's vector based and so it is easy to toy with shapes, resize them, intersect them with other objects and so on - you can then export them in .png format and drop them into GIMP if needs be.

Might not be quite the answer you are looking for, but it provides an alternative to forming complex (and not so complex!) shapes in GIMP.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:57 am 
Jedi Mod

One of the example plugins in InkScape is actually for drawing cogs...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:38 am 
Forum Newbie

Thank you, these are the type of answers I was looking for. Insight into how other users would accomplish this task and taking from your experience and this is very helpful. I just downloaded it and I am going to explore inkscape. I haven't used it before but I enjoy learning new useful programs.

In the meantime if anyone else has other ideas, I am still interested in hearing them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:01 am 
Forum Newbie

HI
did you already find solution to your problem? Can you post the new logo u had if ever. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:04 am 
Forum Newbie

I like your logo. Generally I like to make vectorize logos because it looks great in all sizes and all formats.
You can see my logo conversion and logo creation.
Please give some advise for more...

Thanks

Will

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:52 am 
Forum Commoner

Wonderful logo I like minimalizm