PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:41 pm 
Forum Newbie

Hi, this is my first real website project, and i need your reviews please: http://www.iknow-scotland.co.uk

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:00 am 
Forum Commoner

hi,

Considering your experience in website designing, the site you have designed is pretty nice.
The only thing i would suggest you to change the placements of objects. Also the map image on the upper right corner of the page is looking odd.

Best of luck for your project.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:02 am 
Forum Contributor

Hi Hurikhan

Welcome to devNetwork.

The site looks awesome as it's your first site.

What have you used backend ie. php / mysql etc , as it looks like it was written in HTML. For example your availability calender, is that updateable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:43 pm 
Briney Mod

My immediate, gut reaction was that it was well designed. And it's not bad. There are a few things I noticed though:

1. The map in the top left does look a bit odd. The gradient really looks out of place. Maybe if you re-generated the map without the blue - it would look just like Scotland is sitting on the white background.
  2. In the tabs, you should rename "Scotland" to "All Scotland". When I first read the tabs, I thought "South West", "Edinburgh & Glasgow", etc, were all areas outside of Scotland & if I wanted to know more about Scotland I had to click the Scotland tab. Of course, after thinking for a second & reading the rest of the tabs I realized this wasn't the case. However, there was that initial, subconscious reaction.
  3. You should have the background image of your tabs be sprites, so there's no loading time when mousing over for the first time.
  4. I did notice how the whitespace around the different sections seemed uniform, except between the top navy bar, and the main content
  5. I don't think you need to repeat "Scotland" so much. I'm at a website about Scotland - I get it. You don't need "Scotland Accommodation Directory" and "Featured Scotland Accommodation". Just "Accommodation Directory" and "Featured Accommodation" would be sufficient.
  6. The different areas in the Accommodation directory "South west", "Edinburgh & Glascow" don't appear to be lined up with the top of the image they're beside.
  7. In the "Scottish Islands" section, the different islands get too close to the bottom of the box - throws off the uniform white space.
  8. It seems a bit odd that the "Featured Scotland Accommodation" section has a border around it. None of the other sections have borders around them.
  9. I don't know why you have 2 link colours in the footer. I'd stick with just one - the red.
  10. For that matter, you have 5 different colours for links. Only the red and blue stand out as links. The page might look more vibrant if you just picked one colour - one that stood out - and made all links that colour. Of course, navigation (the tabs) is a special case.
  11. In the sub pages - make the search refinements stand out more as things that can be clicked.
  12. I'd also make the "Refine Your Search" look more associated with the column it's supposed to be a header for

For a first design (for that matter, for a second, third, or fourth) - this is pretty well done. I know my first design was nowhere close to this level of quality.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:00 pm 
Forum Commoner

pretty cool for 1st try.! awesome actually!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:17 pm 
DevNet Master

Took a long time to ask for the review. http://www.iknow-scotland.co.uk/include ... credit.php

I think maybe this is spam.

mysql_function(): WARNING: This extension is deprecated as of PHP 5.5.0, and will be removed in the future. Instead, the MySQLi or PDO_MySQLextension should be used. See also MySQL: choosing an API guide and related FAQ for more information.