PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:05 pm 
Forum Commoner

Hi,

http://www.gedoo.com

I've been working on this website for a couple of months now and need your input :) Please let me know what you like about my website, what you dont understand, what you hate and features I can add/make better..

I would really love for you to set Gedoo.com as your homepage for a couple of days just to try it out and see how easy it is to use :) Here is a lil description:

Gedoo.com is a startpage where you can search in over 3000 (more is added daily) search engines from the same page. It includes search engines from many different countries and languages. You will only be able to see search engines in your language and english.

If you just enter a search term it will automatically search in Google from your country. If you are from United Kingdom it will search in Google.co.uk, if you are from Canada it will search in Google.ca, ect.

You can set any search engine you wish as your primary search engine. If you want eBay to be your primary search engine you just enter ebay and click on «Make primary» on the drop-down.

Another smart feature is that you can enter urls directly into the search field. If you enter flickr.com in the search field it will automatically go to http://www.flickr.com.

If you enter «you» in the search field you will see that «YouTube» shows as a suggestion. Click on YouTube, type in your search term and click enter and you will see that it searches in YouTube. Same goes for every other search engine in the database.

You can also personalize Gedoo.com with background images. Go to http://www.gedoo.com/background/ and see all the backgrounds we offer. Gedoo.com features over 100 beautiful background images.

Thanks for your time :drunk:

NOTE: For Opera users there is a tiny bug that makes it search in Google when you go down to select a search engine and click enter ... I am working to fix this... In the meanwhile you can just click on the search engine with the mouse and it will work fine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

It took me about 5 tries to load your page before I finally could get to it.

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/http ... gedoo.com/ said it was just me, but maybe DNS up in Canada land is wonky.

I was going to give it a whirl as my homepage for today (and I end up doing a lot of searches everyday). But I just can't get past it being so slow and non-responsive (which I want to chalk up to DNS caching issues).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:45 pm 
Forum Commoner

Wow I didnt know that .. Here it loads real fast !

Here it sais that it takes 1,5 sec to load it...http://www.basicwebsitereview.com/review/gedoo.com

As you can see (?) it isnt a big website with alot of text and images so it shuld load fast ..

Could u let me know if it is like this tomorrow as well? If so I need to contact my hosting ...

Thanks alot :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:03 pm 
Forum Commoner

Some exiting new features on Gedoo now ;) it has a new design as you can see.. You now get a list of your last used search engines so you can make repeated searches faster.

You can also type directly the name of the search engine you want to search in with the term and it will auto-detect that search engine. For example if you type "youtube music" and click enter you will search for music in youtube. Gedoo also has alot more search engines to search in (over 9000 actually!) and new ones are added every day! ;)

Hope you enjoy it and please give me feedback and input on how to make it better :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:01 pm 

It offers me to search in Norwegian for some reasons (browsers language preferences are en_GB,en_US,en if that matters). How you detect user's language?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:11 am 
Forum Commoner

Sh**! Sorry bout that, I will fix that asap.. Its because I am a Norwegian and been testing the search results in Norwegian ... Thanks for letting me know!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:49 am 
Forum Commoner

Language issue shuld be working now ;) Let me know if you see any other errors ;) Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:30 am 
Forum Regular

Seems pretty fast to me.

Not sure how you would implement it exactly, but I would like to see a "people search" feature, with multiple relevant searches against Facebook, Bebo (though perhaps Bebo is defunct now?), Friends Reunited etc being collated and presented back to me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:27 pm 

No yandex search even when I set Russian as my primary language? Hm.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:50 am 
Forum Commoner

greyhoundcode wrote:
Seems pretty fast to me.

Not sure how you would implement it exactly, but I would like to see a "people search" feature, with multiple relevant searches against Facebook, Bebo (though perhaps Bebo is defunct now?), Friends Reunited etc being collated and presented back to me.

Are you talking about a feature where search results are based on your friends likes ect in Facebook and other social media?

Weirdan wrote:
No yandex search even when I set Russian as my primary language? Hm.

That is so strange :/ Could u do me a favor and see if you have a cookie called "primary" for Gedoo? If so, please delete it and try again :) You have that if you have set Yandex as your primary search... I dont see any other reason you shuld search in Yandex automatically...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:36 am 

Here's what I did: went to the browser properties, added Russian as my preferred language (above all English variants), then went to gedoo. Removed all cookies and reloaded the page.

Expected: at least one language-specific search engine should appear under the search box (that would likely be Yandex for Russian)

Actual: only English engines appear, typing 'yand' in the search bar does not offer to search through Yandex.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:11 pm 
Forum Regular

dominod wrote:
Are you talking about a feature where search results are based on your friends likes ect in Facebook and other social media?

No not really, I'm not thinking of linking the search to my own accounts with any social media sites.

Basically if I want to track down my old school friend, Anklebert Schuburger, and make contact or just see what he's doing, or what information is out there about him, I would like to do a search something like

people: Anklebert Shuburger

And then see a list of results from relevant social websites listed first, followed by any more generic results (such as a standard Google search on old Anklebert). A bit like

23 matches on Facebook:
[pic] Anklebert Shuburger
[pic] Andrew Shuburger
[pic] Anklebert Scherzinger

9 matches on LinkedIn:
[pic] Adrian Shutenfuten

Bing returns:
[link] Shuburger Exotic Fish Shop (fishburger.com)

So a "people-centric" search, to coin a phrase.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:53 am 
Forum Commoner

Weirdan wrote:
Here's what I did: went to the browser properties, added Russian as my preferred language (above all English variants), then went to gedoo. Removed all cookies and reloaded the page.

Expected: at least one language-specific search engine should appear under the search box (that would likely be Yandex for Russian)

Actual: only English engines appear, typing 'yand' in the search bar does not offer to search through Yandex.

In what country are you now? Because Yandex is only appearing to countries which speaks Russian (Azerbaijan , Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Russia). I will add a feature where you can select country/language asap. If you are not in one of those countries then I guess thats the reason. If you are please let me know because then I have to find out whats wrong here :/

Also Gedoo isnt affected by browser settings. I will add the setting at my website ASAP like I said above ;)

Thanks though :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:56 am 
Forum Commoner

greyhoundcode wrote:
dominod wrote:

No not really, I'm not thinking of linking the search to my own accounts with any social media sites.

Basically if I want to track down my old school friend, Anklebert Schuburger, and make contact or just see what he's doing, or what information is out there about him, I would like to do a search something like

people: Anklebert Shuburger

And then see a list of results from relevant social websites listed first, followed by any more generic results (such as a standard Google search on old Anklebert). A bit like

23 matches on Facebook:
[pic] Andrew Shuburger
[pic] Anklebert Scherzinger

9 matches on LinkedIn:
[pic] Adrian Shutenfuten

Bing returns:
[link] Shuburger Exotic Fish Shop (fishburger.com)

So a "people-centric" search, to coin a phrase.

I see what you mean now ;) Actually Gedoo offers a feature like this. If someone searches for "Anklebert Scherzinger" in lets say Facebook. Then the next time someone is searching for "Anklebert Scherzinger" it will suggest Facebook at the top of the left-list you see at the search results :) The only different is that its not only social media results it is all search eninges and it doesnt display how many search results :) Test the feature out and let me know what you think ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:10 am 

dominod wrote:
In what country are you now? Because Yandex is only appearing to countries which speaks Russian (Azerbaijan , Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Russia).

Russian is also widely spoken in Ukraine, where I live.

Adding language selector would be way to go - location should not be correlated to the language as you might be visiting a country the predominant language of which you don't speak.