PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:55 am 
The Ninja Space Mod

The site: http://IsThatLegit.com/

I have had this idea in my head for several years (close to five I think) and I've started the project at least a half dozen times, but after a month of solid work I finally have a real website up and running.

The basic idea is to allow people to easily find out if anything (whether it be a product, a service, a company, a person, ANYTHING) is a scam, or at least, not as it appears to be. Or in other words, NOT LEGIT!

As of right now, it is all based on other users' opinions. When a new topic is posted, it is neutral. Other users can vote whether they think it is legit or not. If it is legit, the post will appear green. Otherwise it will be red. Users receive points for site participation and they receive even more points if other users deem their opinions good (and lose points if other users think their opinions aren't helpful). The more points a user has, the more their vote will affect the post's "legitimacy". Users with a negative score have no affect on the post whatsoever (they do not negatively affect it, they just have no affect at all).

Eventually I would like to also take into account other factors (other than user votes). I would like to maybe find a way to use a sort of page-rank-like algorithm to assist in a post's legitimacy score. But that is just me dreaming for now.

Let me know what y'all think! There is a link on the bottom of the right side of the page that says "Have a comment/suggestion?". Please use that link if you have a comment, suggestion, criticism, ANYTHING!! Suggestions posted from that link are tied into my project management system and if I find the suggestion worth looking into, I can convert it into a ticket with the click of a button. Thanks guys :)

P.S. The site was originally going to be called IsItLegit.com but the domain was taken and I don't yet feel the idea is worth the hefty price they owner is asking.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:31 am 
Site Administrator

Interesting idea. Like Snopes and Reddit had a baby. The hardest parts will be the karma and rating systems. Those always get gamed.

(#10850)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:47 pm 
The Ninja Space Mod

I would really appreciate some suggestions or participation with this. It's a little too much to ask for y'all to sign up and actually participate, but that would be AWESOME. What I do ask though, is that you check it out, and if you find anywhere you think it could use improvement, click on the "Have a comment/suggestion?" link on the right-hand bottom side of the screen and suggest away! I am really trying to make this as professional and well-done as possible. I honestly don't really care if people actually use it (although that would be awesome), what I do care about is that it look and feels extremely professional, as this is going to be the pièce de résistance of my portfolio when looking for work. Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:20 pm 
The Ninja Space Mod

I just totally overhauled the design. The design is still exceedingly simple, perhaps too simple. I removed the top banner ad which was very annoying. I was going to remove the ads all together since they are extremely unlikely to make me any money and they detract from the purpose of the site, but the one on the right really isn't all that obtrusive and the design actually feels a little empty without it.

I am currently in the process of overhauling the "post a new topic" process as well. That should be finished in about fifteen minutes. I'd appreciate y'all taking a look at the new design in the mean time though and letting me know if it's worth a hoot and if there's anything you can think of that I can improve. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:21 am 
Forum Newbie

The concept is really cool. With good interaction, I think you have a winning solution in your hands. But I think you can improve the visual design a bit. Having an eye catching design won't hurt you especially considering the viral value of the site. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Something about the red/green background on the "items" makes the site look ugly to me. I would prefer to see a nice graphic on the left that clearly indicates a good or bad "item", and perhaps just color code the text.

Also I think maybe the Welcome to IsThatLegit.com blurb and the search should be switched.

More to come later when I have some time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:09 am 
The Ninja Space Mod

Thanks John. I had the same opinion apparently because (as you'll see on the new design) I did precisely what you suggested (before reading this post). I'm glad to see you agree :) I look forward to your further suggestions.

I am also putting together a blog that will delve into the most interesting/popular topic of the week/month in depth in an attempt to improve the site's overall usefulness and search engine relevance. I will be looking for advice on that when it's finished as well. Thanks y'all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:49 am 
Tranquility In Moderation

isthatlegit.com IS LEGIT!
for real, very nice concept and presentation
hope it takes off for you

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Wow, that looks A LOT better. Back later.