PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:40 am 
Forum Newbie

Hi there,

I am currently updating the skin of an app. With this new design we have created an 8px spacing as the 'golden rule' between UI elements, buttons, etc.

The developers I am working with said that the transparent pixel spacing is a "no-no". They are in Shanghai so I'm waiting a full day to hear back on why it is a "no-no".

The idea of the UI design is to have the illusion of floating buttons, but in reality if the elements are exported with a transparent border of 4px (creating in reality a rigid structure) I don't see why this won't work. I'm not a developer so I understand I may be blind to rules or code that interferes with this.

Is this something that iOS has a rule about? I've seen in several design mock-ups online with people doing this so I am hoping for some clarity from some of you as to why this won't work or if it could. I've attached two files to explain what the dev's are saying won't work and what the designers are proposing to create the illusion.

We've just done 5 days of tedious design execution so trying to figure out if we have to start over :banghead:

Thanks!

Attachments:
File comment: The blue square indicated a 4px border to be exported as part of the UI element to create the illusion of a floating element.
-6.jpg
-6.jpg [ 266 KiB | Viewed 15839 times ]
File comment: The developers said the highlighted areas are not allowed
-1.jpg
-1.jpg [ 80.06 KiB | Viewed 15839 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:56 am 
Site Administrator

Is this a native app or web app?

(#10850)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:42 am 
Briney Mod

They likely said it was a "no-no" because the spacing can (and should) be done in code. What happens if after everything is done, the pixel spacing needs to be 4px, or 9px? If the spacing is set into the images, you'll have to re-render them all, whereas the developers can just tweak it once in code.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:06 am 
Forum Newbie

No transparent gaps is not allowed because it defects on pixel or it can be add on coding if it it correct..