PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Our new site
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:34 pm 
Briney Mod

• The font in the navigation doesn't look sharp (as in classy). At that size I personally prefer Arial over Verdana.
  • You should do a check on the contents of your search box before clearing it. If I type in what I want to search for, click outside the box, then click back inside the box, my search terms are cleared.
  • Not a fan of having the background colour change half way through the magnifying glass
  • Wonder if having the search bar slide in from the right might be a better animation than having it grow from the top right corner.
  • Georgia looks a bit out of place on the "The Q" page, as everything else is sans-serif.
  • Wondering if the sub-headings under "Give Us A Shout!" should be <h3> rather than <h2> - both topographically & visually they should be less important headers.
  • Having the "In the news" header on the homepage be the same colour as links, a) doesn't look as good as different colours would and b) made me think the "In the news" was a link.
  • I'd suggest styling the Submit button on your contact page. You use greyscale in your theme so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, but it's still a thumb.
  • Why no header image on the "The Q" page?
  • The background colour when you hover over the current page in the navigation needs to be more visible.
  • On the profile page, don't direct people to "our blog", direct them just to "our site showcase". In my opinion, a blog is something a person does - like a diary. It doesn't seem professional for a company to have a "blog". Keep doing the exact same thing, but call it "recent activities" or "news" or something else - just not blog.

http://www.sxc.hu is also great (and free) for stock photos.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:50 pm 
The Ninja Space Mod

Dude all of that is ACE! Thanks so much!! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:32 pm 
DevNet Resident

The search should really be in a big and clear box. I managed to find it in about a second, but this is 1 second more than it should have taken; and to other people it might take even longer.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:41 pm 
DevNet Resident

After looking at your CSS to see how you got a drop shadow on the container, and looking at the image, now, whenever I look at the website I can actually see where the image ends on the left-hand side of the container. This might be the smallest nit pick of all time, because if I wasn't looking really hard I wouldn't see it and it might be to do with my monitor.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:06 pm 
Forum Regular

Background problem is not with photoshop, but with amount of colors and height of the gradient. For example if you make grayscale background with height 200px and color change from #666 to #999, then each color value (#666666, #676767, ...) will be ~ 4px and it becomes even worse when color changes to something close. That's why it looks like that.

Solution to it is to add a little 'noise' to the image.
To compare (on the left is the original, on the right recreation of the background + noise): http://www.skudra.eu/kasis/test/gradient.png
Final background: http://www.skudra.eu/kasis/test/gradient_final.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:08 am 
The Ninja Space Mod

why didnt I think of that?? thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:12 am 
DevNet Resident

Nicely done kaszu.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:47 am 
Forum Regular

Very nice website for your kind of proffesion.

The thing that I felt was a little too much was the size of the images under the menu (the apples under portfolio for example) other than that I have no complaints. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:11 pm 
Forum Contributor

Just visited this site and saw:

In the news

<?php
echo wp_get_archives(’type=postbypost&limit=5&tag=press’);
?>

Looks like it's because of this:
Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
<p>&lt;?php<br />
echo wp_get_archives(&#8217;type=postbypost&amp;limit=5&amp;tag=press&#8217;);<br />
?&gt;</p>