PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:19 pm 
Forum Regular

This is a hypothetical situation, but lets say I gain access to a database, but not the file system. This could be a SQL injection voulnerability through some test script in an obscure directory on the webserver, or whatever else you can imagine.

Typically user registration systems are stored in the database as:
UserId, UserName, UserPasswordHash, UserPasswordSalt

Usernames are typically plain text, while password and salt are hashes

My point is, if I have access to the database and I have created an account, I know my own password. So consider the following:

# Fetch My Personal Info
SELECT `userPasswordHash`, `UserPasswordSalt` FROM `users` WHERE `UserName`='my_username';

# Update All Users Info
UPDATE `users` SET `UserPasswordHash`='my_password_hash', `UserPasswordSalt`='my_password_salt';

Now I know everyone's password. I wouldn't have to have any knowledge of the password hashing scheme mechanics to make this work.

In addition to a random user salt, plus a global pepper (stored outside the database), I think it would be beneficial to add the username or id to the password hashing scheme. Tying the username into the hashing scheme would make the hash unique, even if the password and salt were identical.

On the other hand, if I have access to the database, it's already game over, but with that mind set, why hash passwords before storage to begin with?

I don't know, I'm sure most of you have already thought about this before, but it dawned on me while driving to work this morning. Any comments?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:29 am 
Forum Commoner

Hashing passwords is less about protecting your system and more about protecting your users. Many people use the same password everywhere, which means if your system is compromised and your users' passwords are discovered, then higher value attacks against your users are possible, such as bank and e-mail accounts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:34 pm 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:02 am 
DevNet Resident

In a realistic scenario, you're much, much more likely to gain read-only access to the database than a read-write access. This is the most common intrusion and this is what salt-and-pepper is a good measure against.

That said, even in this attack scenario, if your salting scheme includes the username as part of the per-user salt, you still would not be able to "copy" your credentials over the admin's.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:43 am 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:31 am 
DevNet Resident

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:53 am 
DevNet Master