PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:46 pm 
Forum Newbie

Hey Guys! I'm new to the community and new to SSL's.

Currently I've been put in charge of a website that has multiple subdomains. The website is a healthcare related site and the different subdomains are logins for different types of users (doctors, facility admin, site admin, patients, ect) Our wildcard SSL just expired and is ridiculously expensive.

Here is my situation. We are in the process of moving the site from a dedicated server to a web hosting company, so now is the time to make changes.

Option 1
Would it be possible to set it up with subdomains, then get separate individual SSL's for each subdomain? Would each subdomain need a separate IP?

Option 2
Should I consolidate each portal/subdomain to www.mydomain.com/subdomainLogin and just get one SSL cert for the entire site?

Option 3
Something else I haven't thought of.

I welcome any advice as to what you would do, and the pros and cons of these scenarios.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:54 pm 
Forum Contributor

Option 2- one SSL cert for the entire site is what i would do -
unless you have other advantage of setting up subdomains which outweighs the additional cost for getting and managing so many ssl certificates

If subdomains are must - consider a wildcard SSL certificate for a subdomain.. in that case it can be used with the main domain.

read this:
http://www.sslshopper.com/best-ssl-wild ... icate.html