PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:48 am 
Forum Newbie

My colleague and I are building a new phpbb2 website to be a car racing forum/marketplace for high end racing cars. We purchased a bb2 template because we liked the look and already knew about bb3.

We can't seem to stop bots from signing up as members and posting up advertisements. We installed an anti-bot software program which doesn't do anything, and running out of options.

We don't know to continue on or try to make another bb3 template look as the styling does with our old bb2. Or if there is a good anti bot program out there this would help out tremendously.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:36 pm 
Spammer :|

As has been mentioned in other places, use any combination of:
- CAPTCHA (a good one)
- Approval system for new members
- Good moderators

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:43 am 
Forum Newbie

we installed an anti-bot software which has these captcha measure in it, and we did put up 2 questions and 2 images as the bots can't understand questions nor look at images but I have no idea how they have gone around this, both those measures don't seem to work surprisingly?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:55 am 

It's quite possible there are humans doing the work. CAPTCHA won't help you there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:24 pm 
Forum Newbie

okay...a few questions here; is bb3 much more secure from bots than bb2 is? what is the best anti-bot software program out there for bb2 and bb3? since we are 3 quarters of the way done with our bb2 website, would it be beneficial to drop the bb2 and convert over to the bb3 platform? if so, for what reasons?

how easy or difficult is it to incorporate my styling features over to bb3? I assume that bb3 would be a better choice for in the long run for new added components coming out? but will there be any new components for bb2 coming down line for people such as myself in this situation with a bb2 website?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:52 pm 

Considering how phpBB 2 died last decade and how phpBB 3 has been out for a few years now you probably should upgrade. But I can't tell you the answer: do some research, see if the changes it offers are worth the additional time to switch to it.