PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:25 am 
Forum Newbie

My friend was given a 2nd year project of building a biometric class attendance system,that was to take finger print of each student taking a particular unit as a method of ensuring the student attends at least 80% of the classes.i will be assisting him in the project and we will be using PHP as our development language,now my question was.is their a way of linking a php application with a biometric finger print scanner,and if so how or where can we find the information to guide us on how to do so :?: :?: please help us guys :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:56 am 
Site Administrator

It depends more on the capabilities of the biometric finger print scanner. If it can send HTTP request to a domain/IP address then it can communicate with PHP. If you are running the webserver/PHP on scanning station then PHP could read a port or execute a program that reads a port.

(#10850)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:21 am 
Forum Newbie

@Christopher,thanks for your reply ,the app will be running on a fixed station(only one computer),aleast you gave me an idea of where to start on,because i didn't know about serial ports support in php :D ..... for anyone who didn't know about this too and want to learn on how to make your php talk to other devices i think this a good place to start http://www.brainboxes.com/faq/items/how-do-i-control-a-serial-port-using-php

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:28 pm 
Site Administrator

If there is not a PHP library to connect to whatever device you are using, you can also execute a program on the computer using PHP -- sending it parameters and getting back its output. See exec() and related functions.

(#10850)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:19 am 
Forum Newbie

@Christopher,thanks so much.av taken a look at the PHP Program execution Functions you've suggested ,and though their is a lot to still learn in there i think they'll come in very handy as i move forward with the project :)
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.exec.php#ref.exec