PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: hey guys!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:02 pm 
Forum Newbie

hello, im 18 years old and im looking for a job (this isn't a for hire thread.. hear me out first =P ) the thing is.. i really don't know where to start.. i have plenty of knowledge with php and even created a small login contacting system for my school.. i looked at some free lance site but i either get cold feet and tell myself its too hard or just never win the bid because i have no references except the school. I really wanna start off in the right foot, i want to become a php developer. i know plenty of html, xhtml, mysql, php4 and 5. I am very talented logically but i lack creativeness, i can't draw or design not even if my life depended on it. anyways thats just my set of skills, i don't think its alot all of you most likely started way better off than me lol. anyways i would really appreciate it if someone can point me to the right direction and throw me some tips and pointers =)

Post subject: Re: hey guys!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:43 pm 
Jack of Zircons

Just like with other parts of life (finding the right girl, winning the lottery, whatever), there isn't any sure answer to "what's the best way to start a career?" Every single one of us has a different story about it. There are, however, some things that often improve your chances, and some things that definitely reduce your chances. Beyond that, it's good luck (see, same with girls and the lottery!).

A few things that come to mind would be to look around for a more experienced developer who may have more work than he or she can handle and would consider hiring you as an apprentice, not responsible for whole projects, certainly at first, but still do enough detail work to earn your pay. I wouldn't worry too much about not having great artistic talent, very few people have high technical skills AND artistic talent. So there's another idea: find a good web designer who isn't too sharp on coding and logic, and see if you might partner with them. It could be a good deal for both of you. Other possibilities would be to attend some kind of program to qualify you in a specific field, like certification for Microsoft or Ubuntu or whatever.

Having successful projects that you can point to is extremely important, though. Maybe while you're continuing to search, you might be able to put together a nice site for no pay, for a nonprofit organization. These days, I'll bet there are lots of organizations that want a web site, or want to add functionality to their web site, but have little or no budget to do it. If you could work on such a project for free and use it as part of your profile when you talk to other people about a real job, that could be very important.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:19 pm 
Forum Newbie

thanks for the advice! i highly appreciate it thanks =)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:51 am 
Forum Newbie

It would be be better if you posted in the topic Job Hunt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 am 
Jedi Mod

teknicalissue wrote:
hello, im 18 years old and im looking for a job (this isn't a for hire thread.. hear me out first =P ) the thing is.. i really don't know where to start.. i have plenty of knowledge with php and even created a small login contacting system for my school.. i looked at some free lance site but i either get cold feet and tell myself its too hard or just never win the bid because i have no references except the school. I really wanna start off in the right foot, i want to become a php developer. i know plenty of html, xhtml, mysql, php4 and 5. I am very talented logically but i lack creativeness, i can't draw or design not even if my life depended on it. anyways thats just my set of skills, i don't think its alot all of you most likely started way better off than me lol. anyways i would really appreciate it if someone can point me to the right direction and throw me some tips and pointers =)

3 things, in order of importance...

1. Don't become a PHP developer. Become a software developer. Don't lock yourself into a specific language from the start. Learn a few languages. Play with code. Try different things. Learn as much as possible.

2. "i have plenty of knowledge with php and even created a small login contacting system for my school" - if you've written one website/web app then you don't have plenty of knowledge yet. You don't have knowledge until you can prove it. Write more applications and put them online.

3. "I am very talented logically" - maybe, but as with point 2, saying that is meaningless until you prove it. Anyone can say it. Write more applications and put them online.

You don't need to be paid to write code in order to write code. Think of some cool things to build and build them. That is what will get you work. They don't need to be pretty. They just need to work well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:37 pm 
DevNet Resident

:offtopic:
I became PHP developer by a chance. I was coding in Pascal / Delphi, I was creating games with Delphi, sometimes pure WinAPI, OpenGL
I was looking for a job after I finish school, but I have no enough Delphi experience. I send a PM to a member of a forum, who have posted that his company is looking for a developer, asking if they are looking for a developers without professional experience.

Since we have been posting in the same forum and he knew my skills, he have recommended me to his managers. So I've started working there, I was really fast advancing. Later I had a chance to work with the same developer as C++ apprentice and then I learnt about software design. I was feeling more comfortable with PHP and started again work as PHP developer, but the C++ / OO experience was one of the most important things in building my career.

P.S. Before I begin with PHP, one of the games I was developing got me to an interview for a Delphi developer, but it was about enterprise software and I had no enough experience in that area.