PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:39 pm 
Forum Newbie

Hi guys, new here, found this forum and thought it might be the right place to have my question answered

On the current site I'm contracting, the person I have doing the coding recently suggested that the css and html template be completely redone. From the beginning, we were working out of a cheap, bought template and just moddifying and adding as we went for the sake of moving things along. That, and I wasn't entirely sure how I was going to design the site initially and needed to speed things up to get the product out. It's bloated crap, sure.

So yadda yadda yadda, the programmer says he can't go any further without gutting the template and writing it from scratch. He already knows how it should look and behave from the current site as it stands today. Considering he will have to do zero designing, and has reference to work from (both the original and his own code he's added), what would be fair compensation for redoing this facet of the site?

Thanks in advance to any who can help. We were at each-others throats over this today.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:42 pm 
Forum Contributor

really depends on how complex the layout is.

we usually pay around $2000 for the html/css programming part for any given photoshop layout (usually consisting of the basic site layout and the various boxes and bars etc. on subpages).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:18 pm 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:34 pm 
DevNet Master

The fact that this is a template you are using and that your coder is having difficulty taming it implies that you are doing more than just a mickey mouse website. If he says he can't work within the restrictions of the template, then he probably can't. But, just so you know, he's not the only developer out there. If you think he's pulling your leg or getting diva syndrome, find a replacement.

If he agreed to the original and then changed his mind, I'd question his abilities as a developer.

But if you do plan on keeping him, don't expect him to save code from the previous design. If he said he's going to do it from scratch, then he's probably going to start with fresh, empty files. You'll get a faster loading site this way though, assuming he's good. And, since the code is his own, he can handle it much more easily.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:46 pm 
Forum Regular

I'd recommend getting a second or third opinion anyway. Publish something on Craig's List for a metropolitan area similar to your own asking for quotes.