PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Open Specifications
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:41 am 
Jedi Mod

Post subject: Re: Open Specifications
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:47 am 
DevNet Master

I'd be happy to have such a service, but have doubts about the feasibility. No matter how in depth you get, I will find you a client to think of an uncovered use case. For instance maybe the person wants to cycle between captcha APIs for increased security. Maybe they only want captchas to activate during high loads. Or maybe the person wants to use reCaptcha, and in the event that services goes down it would default to another service. I could take any of your pre-canned things, and just devise some custom aspect of it you haven't yet accounted for.

You would almost need a "turing completeness" sort of spec language, where I can click, insert new things, move things around in the spec. At that point you're basically reinventing the text editor (which already solves my problem just fine).

Its like that programmer who wants to write the app that solves every problem in the whole darn world. Its likely equally difficult to write the spec for said program. Now what it would be useful for, is for those really simple sites, it would generate the boiler plate and from there I can bring it into my text editor. But since I am not a developer who works on a large volume of simple sites, I can't say if I'd have a need for this service.