PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:13 pm 
DevNet Resident

I'm making a web portfolio for myself and I'm trying to decide on a domain name. I'd just like to hear opinions on whether a portfolio site should have a domain name including first and/or last name or with out first/last name . What's your opinion? Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:33 pm 
Neighborhood Spidermoddy

I've seen it go either direction. As a trend, I think most freelancers use their name, where as contractors tend to use a company name or similar. It varies, because both types of workers switch to the other readily..

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:45 pm 
DevNet Resident

Thanks for the tip feyd. That makes sense. My site will mostly be a portfolio for job searching/self promotion and freelance work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:41 pm 
Jedi Mod

My domain name has nothing to do with my name. But its a 4 letter pronouncable word, so its cool anyway. It might even be worth something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:33 pm 
DevNet Resident

I like your site onion2k.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:01 pm 
Forum Contributor

From my point of view:

All these apply, but also none applies :!: :?:

First: As you will be in a particular industry, with certain group(s) of clients and refferers your name should be addapted to the particular group ( if you choose only certain segment of the market - like for ex. business apps or portals or small firms presentations ).

Second: Someone said - (sorry "quotes" are still an ambiquity for me, although I passed mensa test > 156 :D )

"As a trend, " - This is only good to the certain extent, meaning you want your brand - you have to distinguish yourself from others to a certain point ( mainly important for first-contact where user decides to press "contact" or "similar pages" )

My recomendation: Use your name - or maybe if you can "Create" ( don't know the word in english - the next one) the domain with partly your name/initials/or something like and your company's name/brand.

And on the main page Classify: these are my works for different types of customers ( so customer can find it self and see that you realy can do something he/she want ), different types of technologies ( you have to show that you are the "Jack of all trades, and master of all of them " :D , Your entire CV, but avoid anything about your personal likes and dislikes - just professional stuff.

I know I have heavily broadend the scope of the topic, but all with the intention to give you maximum number of points to work on - As someone ( not from here ) said: The cost in the preparation faze is only 1/1000 from the cost that dissastisfied customer can make when asked about you.

Hope this helps.
See ya.

Oh yeah, and if you have time do reply - so I know does my studing realy has some practical implementation, or the school sucks.

:D