PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Finding Work
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:27 am 
Jedi Mod

I've been a web developer for some time now, and I'd dearly love to strike out on my own and set up a little company making awesome web software.. setting up the company is no problem at all.. but theres one thing thats stopping me:

Where do companys find work? How do you go about finding companies in the local area (or further) who want websites?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:30 am 
Neighborhood Spidermoddy

Word of mouth and social networking is one of the greatest avenues for jobs to come in on. Websites you've built, your own website, and the business pages are also sources. The latter being probably the least. Getting one or two high profile companies is major points. Having an outstanding portfolio and website can and often is a major asset.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:18 pm 
Forum Contributor

All topics are just main points ( I would need to write a book, or do the job for you )

Ok, lets say you need to see how big budget you have.

Depending on it segment and prioritise your most potential customers ( in theory but practise follows )

You must have an internet providers ( and hosting providers in your region ) - try to talk to them about giving you the list of presentations they host (WHY?). Then take yellow pages or business directories of the same region - if possible cross refference the firms that have websites with those that have not - the result would give you some firms you then need to see ( inside that segment ) which would realy need the web-site for their job - in other words the web site for them is high priority, it is just a matter of time before they will need it - so offer them your promotional ( cheaper or free ) service: remember " how much would you appreciate someone who does some job for you and takes into account your present situation ( small firm - need any resource possible ) and would you try to repay it when you grow stronger and have better developed business" ??

Check existing presentations - offer better performance at cheaper prices ( but only those that you shorelly know you can do better ) - remember "TRUST MAY EARN MORE THAN ONE SUCCESFUL PROJECT" - build your communication and relationships with clients in mind to keep them for a longer period ( earn 10 % less on the first job, but earn it several times - several jobs )

Your budget is small, realy small - well there are some ways to beat that.
DO NOT ADVERTISE in the following national TV, newspapers, outdoor huge BANNERS,
but instead use local RADIO and maybe business TV channels, use leaflets ( read somewhere how to make good ones ) offer your customers discounts if they bring you some other customers, when printing your material team up with someone to achieve smaller costs per unit of marketing material, ... etc ( try searching the web for guerilla marketing techniques also SWOT and PEST factors ( but mainly SWOT )...

Creating few major companies accounts can be exelent but - how can you persuade a great company to take you little, little - one man firm to make their web software ( team up with some good - realiable programmers, but bad traders and managers - or they will take over :)), it can be a substantial profit, but if thay decide to take someone else and you mainly rely on profit from them - upsss big financial problems.

Financial inscentives are in any way welcome from you if you are conquering competitors terrain.

Benchmarking you and your competitors is crucial ( prevent them from attacking and enable your self to gain tacktical advantage new - improved ideas, plans... )

Hope this helps.
See ya.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:51 am 
Forum Contributor

Oh, and please do reply - if you think this might be usefull or if you had any practical gain/benefit from my reply ( don't worry I dont charge nothing - just to see if my idea worked in practise )

See ya !