Advice on moving into a web development career

Express the business side of your digital lives. Share your experiences and/or your comments regarding a business or organization.

No advertising.

Moderator: General Moderators

onion2k
Jedi Mod

Post by onion2k »

d11wtq wrote:Do you ever dislike your job?
Frequently.

You'll find that in every industry everywhere though. While turning something you love into a job sounds great, theres always a few things that drag it down. I particularly hate working projects where the client is incapable of defining precisely what they want, and yet still wants it done to a strict deadline. That really bugs me.. And it seems to be happening more frequently.. Grr..
Chris Corbyn
Breakbeat Nuttzer

Post by Chris Corbyn »

I'm going to learn Java (although I don't believe you can ever learn everything about java... there's too much) because it's so vast and diverse (and of course can be implemented on the web as applets). I'd take a short course with the Open University in here the UK so I can do it my spare time after work etc... I did the same thing for Client-side scripting and found it very useful. Then I understand that if I learn Java, C++ is reasonably easy to adapt.

I can also code in Perl for CGI and command line at the moment (not all that competently though)
Chris Corbyn
Breakbeat Nuttzer

Post by Chris Corbyn »

Thanks you all! :lol: :P

I've roped in my first client. It's a nice easy one... just an entry-level type website, 6 pages for a small Acupuncture business.

It's like going fishing for the first time when your a kid and you catch your first ever little stickleback or something.... it's not an impressive catch but it's still exciting! :)

I'll keep getting little jobs like this and see how it goes before I do anything else.

Thanks again 8) :D