PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:33 pm 
Breakbeat Nuttzer

For those of you who haven't guessed, I'm seriouly looking to quit employment and go freelance.

I'm looking for some advice...

How do you find clients and stay in work?

Do your clients come to you? do you employ a business representative? do you cold call? do you send letters?

This has always been my BIG BIG worry with moving into freelance work... I don't want my business to dry up

Thanks for any advice :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
How do you find clients and stay in work?

About 75% of my work is local for the main reason is communication is easily done.
Most of the time I have people screw me and my precious time around when freelancing some one in another country, so I like to keep it local. What I tend to do is send out a bunch of proposals to companies in my area, you'd be suprised how many you hear back from.

Quote:
Do your clients come to you? do you employ a business representative? do you cold call? do you send letters?

I have a lot of people in my area that do come to me. Not only do I like to keep it local, a lot of the clients do because of the communication issue. Nothing worse when you have a question and you client forgot to tell you hes going on vacation.

Don't expect to have a million clients off the bat, build your reputation up and sooner or later you'll be turning people down.

Offer them attention, be patient, and get 50% payment before you start working

Quote:
Thanks for any advice

Your welcome. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:23 pm 
Breakbeat Nuttzer

Nice one thanks...

I was thinking the same thing. Just send out a bunch of letters to local businesses, get some work (I hope), send some more letters out when current work is nearing completion... I guess businesses talk too.

I'm working on some nice business tools for my website, and spending a lot of time (I shouldn't be) at work concentrating on this move.

Still anxious about quitting work but as EVERYBODY I know keeps telling me... I'm only 22 years old. Better taking the risk now than once I have serious commitments :lol:

Thanks for the info!