Average time to develop general PHP websites?

Express the business side of your digital lives. Share your experiences and/or your comments regarding a business or organization.

No advertising.

Moderator: General Moderators

Average time to develop general PHP websites?

Postby Jeroen Oosterlaar » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:14 pm

I was wondering, what is your average time to develop a general PHP website, or a general PHP functionality, such as the management of registered users (plain insert, update, delete and overview functionality etc.)? When I start a project the basic functionality that need to be implemented always gives me the wrong impression of how much time it eventually really takes to develop it. It always makes me wonder whether it is just me not being able to develop things in the least amount of time or whether it really takes longer than expected.

To give an example: a few days ago I wrote a full FAQ system for a project and it took me about 8 hours to finish it. The system is able to work with grouplevels in order to be able to structure one's frequently asked questions like a tree. The system offers the admin the following functions:
- Overview of current FAQ categories
- Insert a new FAQ category
- Edit an existing FAQ category
- Deleting a FAQ category
- Overview of current FAQ entries
- Inserting a FAQ and put it in one of the existing categories or create a new category
- Edit an existing FAQ, including assigning the FAQ to another category if preferred
- Delete a FAQ

At the frontend, site visitors are only able to browse the FAQ.

(Don't forget the extra work like creating the templates (I use Smarty), the tables and the testing.)

Writing this module was not hard. It is just plain data managing like most database driven website modules, but it still took me quite some time.

Do you think it really took too much time, or is about 8 hours realistic for such a module?
Last edited by Jeroen Oosterlaar on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeroen Oosterlaar
Forum Commoner

Postby feyd » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:16 pm

This is a question for The Enterprise, not General Discussion.
feyd
Neighborhood Spidermoddy

Postby Jeroen Oosterlaar » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:18 pm

feyd wrote:This is a question for The Enterprise, not General Discussion.

You are right! Sorry!
Jeroen Oosterlaar
Forum Commoner

Return to The Enterprise