PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:43 am 
Forum Regular

It's tough out there this December! I'm having to lower my rate a little, take what I can get.

To give you an idea of the current economic climate, check out how fast the USA almost goes grey near the end:

http://www.hendersonvillepost.com/carolina/?p=3756

Even though this is the USA, I most certainly believe other parts of the world are feeling this kind of heat, if not worse.

Some days I wonder why I didn't take that remote telework job with Canonical.com (makers of Ubuntu). It just wasn't programming work, but only sysop work, and I wanted to focus my career on programming. (The sysop job focused only on Perl and Linux command line stuff, and Canonical.com avoids PHP for some reason.) I love that company to pieces, though.

But I tell you what, guys -- I'm making it. I'm duking it out, pulling out all the stops.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:52 pm 
DevNet Resident

yeah it's retarded out there right now. i've been unemployed since september. my employer thought they could crap on me because of the tough economy but it don't work like that so here i am. unemployment is for lames but there isn't anything out there and i've been looking in machining and web trades. :|

worse even for us is boeing building that new plant down there where you are at mike. (may not turn out that bad in the end though) has a lot of speculators scared.

keep hittin em hard though and good luck :)

what does canonical develop their site with?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:05 am 
Forum Regular

Canonical does their stuff in Python and a little in Perl. Lately they may lean a little Ruby, but I doubt it? They just hate PHP for some reason, sadly.

Didn't know about the Boeing plant. Had to google that. Yeah, sounds like that jet they'll make there is evidently plagued with problems and so the plant may close just as soon as it opens because investors may walk.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:18 am 
DevNet Resident

well if you saw boeing prints you might understand why

haha